Monday, October 27

MORNING QUICKIES . . .

Oh, get your minds out of the gutter!

***

Yankees did not win the World Series. I am sad, of course, and somewhat disgusted. Those boys ... for as many games as they won this year, and as far as they got, there was something missing. Are they complacent? Did they expect to win and thus got lazy? Did they just plain suck? I don't know ... but my prevailing opinion is this (and this is a bit froufy for baseball, but bear with me): they just weren't friends with each other. There was no trust, no mutual bond tying them together and stoking the fire and the drive to WIN. They seemed distracted, focusing on all other things except each other. I'm sorry, but baseball is not tennis or some other random individual sport -- you have team members upon whom you must rely, whom you must support and back up at all times. Something wasn't connecting. They weren't looking each other in the eye or having enough dinners together or letting their kids have play dates or something. Whatever it was, it came back to bite them in the ass big time. Boo.

As Cheech notes, next year will be totally different. Who knows whose heads will roll between now and March. If I go to Tampa again for Spring Training, who knows what strange faces will be there and which familiar faces will sadly be missing (although I willnot be sad to see Boone go, so let him be chopped first!). Sigh. My boys ...

***

Stinkin' wildfires in California. My mind cannot comprehend the loss of 800 homes to FIRE. The photos disseminated by the media don't accurately portray to me the enormity of flames licking hundreds of feet high, rushing at houses and communities in a deafening wall of sound. I can't even imagine -- my wild and crazy brain, normally coming up with mad scenarios, can't even imagine -- the devastation that nature, that FIRE can wreak.

I have no idea of the geography of California, except to know that San Francisco is six hours north of Los Angeles, so I have no idea where exactly these fires are doing their damage. But of course, I worry about my beloveds -- Ha, Dr.Y and their babies. I hope their skies are not blackened, their air is not grey with soot, their hours not spent preparing to leave their home to escape life-threatening danger. It breaks my heart to think that they -- no, that anyone -- would be living like that.

***

C&M asked me to be godmother to their daughter C/A. Wow. I am a godmother. I have a godchild now.

I was thoroughly stunned when the idea was first proposed to me a couple of weeks ago. The affection, respect and responsibility that came with the request overwhelmed me, and I wept tears of humility and happiness for the friendship that C&M have offered me in the past year, as well as tears of thanksgiving for C/A and Bruiser -- two true miracles and gifts from our God. When they asked me officially yesterday evening, I was again so touched -- all I could do was look down at C/A gurgling in my arms and smile. In fact, I think I also made some inappropriately-timed joke, but ... bygones.

And then I thought: "I have no idea what this means." I promised to be nice to C/A and buy her lots of cool things, but I don't think that's really the purpose of a godparent. So, being the utter nerd that I am, I looked it up, and here's what I found:

From the Catholic tradition: During the opening rites of the Liturgy of Baptism, the godparents are addressed in the following manner "Are you ready to help the parents of these children in their duty as Christian parents". Presumably, after due reflection you will be ready to answer "Yes". In other words, your role is to assist the parents in guiding their child to know God and to belong to his Church in the fullest way possible. As a Christian and now as a godparent, allow the liturgy of baptism to speak directly to you, not just about your new role but also as fellow traveler along the road of faith. Pay special attention to the forms and symbols used: the waters that wash away sin and restore us to new life in Christ, that new life signified in the white garment, the oil of chrism that brings both healing and strength and sets us apart for the work of the Kingdom and of course that lighted candle symbolizing that Christ and his Gospel has become in the words of the psalm a "light for our feet", guiding us along the road of faith. This is why, at its very heart, your relationship with your new godchild is a "spiritual" one. Of course as with any special relationship the affection that underpins it can be demonstrated in practical and giving ways.

From the secular tradition: The idea of a godparent came about because converts to the early Christian church were usually adults whose parents were not Christians. The role of godparent was to provide a Christian mentor to help them in their journey as they embraced their new faith. ... Over the years the role was refined to a supporting one in which other adults - often, in the Anglican tradition, two of the same sex as the baby and one of the opposite sex - agreed to help the parents instruct and inform their new offspring in the Christian faith. But this role has been eroded, and these days for many families the religious significance of a godparent is less apparent than the honorary status. ...
But that's not to say that there isn't a role for a godparent as another supportive adult a parent can turn to for advice and help. Many parents hope their child's godparents will share, with them, a special interest in his or her upbringing and development - and many hope that, as the years roll by, their child will develop a special relationship with his godparents.


Hmmm. Very interesting. This is going to be totally fun. Oh my gawd, I have a godchild ... and she's totally cool!

***

I'm having steak for dinner tonight.

YUM.

No comments: