Friday, February 21

Some of this morning's headlines deserve some added attention, even if it is just my own inane commentary:

MISPLACED ORGANS: the 17-year-old girl who got the wrong blood-typed heart and lungs a few days ago received a new set of organs of the correct blood type. Unfortunately, her brain is swelling and the situation is now "grave." Why this happened in the first place - at DUKE UNIVERSITY - is a mystery to me . . . I don't even know this girl, but I hope she pulls through.

DISASTERS EVERYWHERE: on a shuttle that never landed . . . on an Iranian plane . . . on the subway in Daegu, South Korea . . . in a nightclub in Rhode Island (although I have to say, GREAT WHITE, of "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" fame?!). I can't help thinking that if some nefarious soul wanted to truly terrorize us, what better way than to disturb our everyday lives? There's almost no need to exact such punishing measures upon us like 9/11 (God forbid anything like that ever happens again). Just prevent us from traveling, commuting, hanging out at a bar. Why?

PATRIOTIC ANTI-AMERICANISM: check out this local basketball player. This is her way of protesting not only the impending war, but some of the things that the U.S. seems to stand for (or against) in her eyes. On her online profile, she says, among other things, "It will be a great day when our schools get all the money they need and the military has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber." The article concludes with an excerpt from her recent statement: "Patriotism can be shown in many ways, but those who choose to do so by saluting the flag should recognize that the American flag stands for individuality and freedom. Therefore, any true patriot must acknowledge and respect my right to be different." She sure isn't popular right now, but is what she says absolutely wrong? Hey, don't get me wrong - I love my country. This is the country that gave my parents new life and the ability to successfully raise a family and run a business within the very ideals of prosperity and hope. I work for my country, and gladly! So, what does bashing people like Toni Smith accomplish for anyone?

No comments: