Tuesday, June 3

TIDBITS . . .

. . . Burke Marshall, the government's legal strategist on civil rights in the 1960s, died yesterday at age 80. He was the assistant attorney general in charge of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division during the administrations of Presidents Kennedy and Johnson, and he oversaw the 1961 ban on segregation in interstate travel, the 1962 desegregation of the University of Mississippi, and the 1964 enactment of the Civil Rights Act. He was a little unorthodox, but plenty effective and undoubtedly a good public servant . . .

. . . another wonderful TV night:

1. "The Miss Universe Pageant," coming to you live from Panama: for most of our adult lives, SZH and I have spent nearly every pageant on the phone with each other -- yes, for the entire three hours -- or chowing on potato chips lounging on a couch together, deconstructing every moment of the pageant. What are the women wearing, how big is their hair, how much talent they (don't) have, how many ribs they had removed, how (un)healthy they look, how slimy is the host, how trite is the banter, how cheesy are the video montages, how (un)deserving is the winner. Often, we would sit in silence for minutes on end, just gaping at the TV screen, before simply asking each other "Did you SEE that?!" We only hung up for bathroom breaks during commercials, and alternated the call-backs. Washington, DC; the Upper West Side of Manhattan; the Jersey suburbs; Northern Westchester; Boston -- all connected by a common fascination and yes, love, for the pageant experience. Those phone companies loved us. Sadly, I won't be reachable by phone this evening. In fact, I am wounded to say that I won't be television-accessible either. My first pageant missed. Whatever will I do?! Whatever will SZH do?!?! I hope you, in my stead, will take part in the horrific spectacle and tell me about it later . . .

2. "Keen Eddie," a new series on FOX: stars Mark Valley, formerly Jack Deveraux on another SZH and my favorite, "Days of Our Lives." I know nothing about this new show. I am not even going to promote it to you. I just think it's funny that Jack from "DOOL" has his own show now. And I'm glad that the original Jack, Matthew Ashford, is back on "DOOL." Actually, I don't even know why I care anymore. I stopped watching when Marlena was possessed by the devil and started levitating in her sleep. Ah, quality programming . . .

3. "America's Next Top Model," on UPN: all I can say is I WISH "BUFFY" WAS STILL ON, so we wouldn't be subjected to this prattle. Not that that prevents me from watching . . .

. . . pray for sun on Saturday. I am planning to have 30 women over at my house to celebrate JKo's bridal shower. All plans rotated around an outdoor barbecue: marinated Korean-style beef and pork; sangria; cold appetizers; huge salad; ice cream; tulle and ribbon decorations. If it rains, as "they" say it will, I just don't know what I'll do with 30 women inside my house . . .

No comments: