Monday, July 7

RUNNING LATE AGAIN . . .

Here's last week's Five . . .

1. What were your favorite childhood stories? Korean folk tales (particularly the one about the faithful daughter who saves her stubborn, blind father from ruin; and the fables about the good/bad frogs and the good/bad twins; and some story about pumpkins); and the "Little House" series. I was Laura Ingalls.

2. What books from your childhood would you like to share with [your] children? All of the above (even if I only have sons and they can't relate to Laura Ingalls' travails), and of course "Goodnight Moon."

3. Have you re-read any of those childhood stories and been surprised by anything? I love how simple the "Little House" books are. There are no frills, no stupidly big words gratuitously inserted just for effect. The reader is given just enough information to put the story together, but just little enough detail to be able to create her own images according to wherever her own imagination leads. Also, in the course of reading "Goodnight Moon" to several babysitting charges, I have always been amazed at how large the rooms are. What a luxury . . .

4. How old were you when you first learned to read? 2 years old for Korean; 4 years old for English. Eh, don't be impressed. Any brain-related talents I may have are completely balanced out by my un-affinity for math.

5. Do you remember the first 'grown-up' book you read? How old were you? Once I got out of the picture books, I think I was always reading books that were "too old" for me. But I'll venture to say (without too much shame): "Remembrance" by Danielle Steele. Okay, bring on the laughter . . .

No comments: