Thursday, December 18

WINDING DOWN . . .

I love surreal days like today.

I got up at 5:09 a.m., took a shower with my eyes closed the entire time, and I swear I was still half-asleep, and hit the road to get to the airport by 7:00 a.m.. I fell back asleep the moment I buckled my seat belt on the plane before take-off, and didn't even twitch until the wheels hit the runway at landing.

I took a leisurely shuttle bus to the resort here in Florida, checked in and explored every nook and cranny of our room. The bathroom is humongous and has three -- yes three -- doors, and you can enter it from two different sides. I shouldn't be so enthralled by a hotel bathroom, but I am.

I got my Ethernet connection hooked up because I truly am a nerd, and there just ain't no denying it. Then I hit the road to explore the tiny town of Safety Harbor. Florida is a weird place and I could never live here. Everything is flat and pink and palm tree-y. And random people on the street say "hello" to me. It scared me the first two times it happened; then I caught on and the reply smile came naturally to me as I felt myself begin to relax.

I came back to the resort and explored the hotel and spa, snooping in every room. I finally decided to get my lazy bum in gear, and hit the gym for an invigorating workout. On the way back to our room, I saw a lonely housekeeping cart, its owner nowhere in sight, so of course I nabbed some extra shampoo and lotion. They smell nice. A slow hot shower and a change of clothes, and here I am.

I'm totally relaxed. I haven't been this relaxed since ... well, since the last time I was this relaxed and at peace. My L.O.L.'s don't get in until tonight, so I have another 6 or so hours to myself, and I was tempted to turn on the television and truly veg out, but I realized: the quiet is soooo nice. From where I sit, nerding away on Bob, I can see straight out our balcony sliding doors; the glittering of Safety Harbor's waters is almost blinding, but the winter sun is still soothing down here. There are boats anchored against the docks, people strolling on the grounds of the resort, the distant whirring of car engines as they trundle through the town. The breeze is starting to get chilly; I'll slide the door shut soon, and continue to stare and think and unwind for another few hours before heading down to a quiet and thoughtful dinner by myself. My sleepy 5:09 a.m. shower seems so long ago.

There are lots of people I would want to share this quiet with; three of them will be joining me soon. Until then ... I'm just winding down.

No comments: