Tuesday, April 20

MORE TIDBITS . . .

I am a Beef Wellington virgin no more. After dinner in NYC, I have had the full hunk-o'-beef-inside-buttery-puff-pastry experience. Never mind that I thought the layer of mushroom around the filet mignon was ground beef. The chef would have keeled over dead in horror had he heard me ... but I was quickly and laughingly corrected. And enjoyed it anyway. Please. Beef and puff pastry. It's just a good thing.

***

Despite my affinity for beef, however, I believe pork is my preferred meat. As I informed a shocked Hooch this afternoon, pork is just juicier.

***

The Yankees are finally scoring some runs and winning a game ... fine, so it's against the Chicago White Sox, but who cares? A win is a win is a win. Although I missed most of the game, and they are now only in the 7th inning due to a rain delay, apparently all of the Yanks have scored runs. Does that mean A-Rod has also scored a run? Will miracles never cease?!

***

Question du jour (and I won a lunch based on a bet that I would not ask the Judge this question, but of course I did with little hesitation because I just have no shame): Hooch and I were wondering -- why, in history and classic (or not so classic) horror films, do zombies (undead, the living dead, whatever you like to call them -- is there even a difference?) walk forward with their arms totally outstretched? Is there a purpose for this? We have received a few replies: "ask someone else;" "from a medical perspective, it's rigor mortis, which is why zombies cannot bend their arms OR legs;" "dead people are reduced to their basest instincts, which include (and this is NOT NOT NOT my quote) titty-grabbing" (and this does NOT explain heterosexual female zombie behavior). Anyone else? (By the way, Hooch and I spent well over half an hour discussing this issue. Your tax dollars hard at work, yes.) (Also, I have just used many, many parentheticals. Apologies, but they are ever so convenient.)

***

Some important anniversaries rolling around right about now, if you feel so inclined to look upon them with some care. Celebrate the day Jackie Robinson integrated major league baseball (April 19, 1947). Consider the Brown v. Board of Education decisions (May 17, 1954). Remember Oklahoma City (April 19, 1995) and Columbine (April 20, 1999). We recall these dates and events for different reasons, with varied emotions, perhaps with no emotion at all. But we are who we are, and these are why.

***

I love walking in the city on cool summer (or summer-ish) evenings. It's just great. Last night, I watched an episode of "Sex and the City" from Season 5 -- the one where Carrie determines that though she is single and quite possibly wanting to be with someone really badly, being single in New York City is great. She determines that NYC is her boyfriend, the best boyfriend ever. And when someone later in the episode talks smack about the "dirty, loud, smelly" big city, Carrie walks away from him, thinking "don't be talking sh*t about my boyfriend." Damn straight.

No comments: