Friday, April 23

TO LOOK OR NOT TO LOOK . . .



Do I want to see photos of the coffins of American soldiers coming home from Iraq?

No.

But I think it's good for me to see. And I think it's good for this government to allow its citizens to see. And so I will keep logging onto The Memory Hole in the hopes that I can get into the site ...

I live everyday in more than relative safety and comfort. Many of my friends and family do as well. I know that friends of friends of friends of friends, etc. are stationed overseas right now, all over the world, doing whatever on behalf of something good (I hope). But it's easy to forget that military service is a sacrifice and a privilege ... and I need a reminder, as do many of us. Looking at photos of American flag-draped coffins arriving back on American soil reminds me that people fight for my freedom and to give that freedom to others (I hope). I realize that there are people out there braver and more dedicated than I. I see that my life is more than just my house, my job, my friends, my family. I am part of a bigger picture, and there are people dying to preserve my bigger picture.

I understand that the Pentagon's no-photo/no-media-coverage policy "is simply an effort to protect the sensitivities of military families." But to argue a minor point: we're not seeing bodies. The photos reveal to us a coffin, a dead soldier in a wooden box, covered by a pristine American flag -- the symbol we Americans look to with pride (I hope) and determination. Yes, a soldier is a son or daughter or loved one, but a soldier is also ours, belonging to all of America. American troops go forth with our blessing and our prayers, representing our system and our beliefs. When they come home alive, we all celebrate. When they come home dead, we all grieve. Only the cruelest, most hard-hearted American is unmoved by a soldier's life sacrifice.

I do not understand how news organizations did not know that the photo-taking was even occurring. Bill Keller, the executive editor of The New York Times was "not aware at all that these photos were being taken." According to John Banner of ABC's World News Tonight, "this [The Memory Hole] was the first we had known that the military was shooting these pictures." The Pentagon says it takes the photographs for an historical purpose. To which I say: all the more reason to release the photos to the public. Let those who wish to look, look. Let those who wish to turn aside, turn aside. But the Pentagon is right: there IS value to these photographs, above and beyond whatever weird reason government officials have created for themselves.

Maybe the government doesn't want to remind us that people are dying in this war, in any war. Of course ... death sucks. To Christians and non-Christians, militants and apathetic citizens, die-hard patriots and doubting conspiracy theorists -- death just sucks. But so what if we are reminded of how many soldiers are dying in this war, in any war? We should be reminded that war is ugly and that it kills people. Perhaps there is glory in fighting and winning ... but there is greater glory in achieving peace and living a harmonious coexistence. If those coffins teach me and my neighbors and our children that we should do everything possible to avoid military conflict, to avoid war, to avoid killing people and being killed ... then bring on the photographs. Remind me every day that our soldiers are dying. Remind me every day that war is an ugly business that should be avoided at all costs. Remind me every day that peace is something to strive for, above and beyond victory and revenge. Remind me every day.

No comments: