Tuesday, April 6

TOO FULL TO SLEEP . . .

Just back from a Korean food extravaganza at J2 ... watching JKA entertain reminds me of something Omma always says: when you're first married (in your 20s or early 30s), you think you are wonder-woman (or at least should be), and want to cook everything and anything for everyone and anyone; when you're in your 30s, you start to assent when people volunteer to bring more than just beverages and dessert; when you're in your 40s, a second wind hits and you entertain again, not minding that you also have to feed all of your friends' growing children; when you're in your 50s, you meet at a restaurant for gatherings; when you're in your 60s, you go live with your grown children and eat at their dinner parties. JKA still has that newly-married stamina, and her friends benefit grandly from it!

But now I'm too full to sleep, so with two snaps in a circle for TinyCricket, here's my famous-person-sightings or sightings-to-be:

... violinist Isaac Stern and his wife arrived at a friend's house for Thanksgiving dinner just as I was leaving. I don't remember if I shook his hand, but I do remember thinking "what an adorable little man!"

... when "Mirror Has Two Faces" was filming at in NYC, I stood in a gaggle of fans watching Pierce Brosnan and Barbra Streisand prepare an outdoor scene. I jumped up and down and waved my hands when I thought Mr. Brosnan was looking our way; he jumped up and down and waved his hands in clear mockery of me.

... at the same time, I was walking down the street and realized Jeff Bridges was next to me.

... driving in town, I was cut off by Senator Hillary Clinton's motorcade. How rude.

... in elementary school, Levar Burton of "Reading Rainbow" came to perform a few songs at a school assembly.

... having lunch outside while working in the city, I looked up mid-chew to see Russell Wong strolling by. He looked awful, not at all like the seductive watermelon-chomping hottie in "The Joy Luck Club."

... I almost walked into NYS Judge Leslie Crocker Snyder (ok, technically she is not a celebrity, but she has appeared all over the newspapers and in People Magazine, so I consider her famous enough) while walking and talking, and as a result, was almost bodily accosted by her bodyguard. He was very large.

... I gave directions to Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau (again, see NYS Judge Leslie Crocker Snyder) as he was strolling the halls looking for our bureau pizza party years ago. He also is quite a small man.

... I think I walked past Robert Downey, Jr. on the streets of NYC the year before I left for law school.

... leaving Fenway Park after a Red Sox-Yankees game, I spotted press outside the Yankees' locker room, and Paul O'Neill standing in the hall talking to reporters. I yelled through the railings: "I LOVE YOU PAUL." He didn't look up, but raised his hand in acknowledgement. Insert swoon here.

... at Yankees Spring Training 2002: received an autograph from Hot Randy Choate, and ogled Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Lee Mazzili, Joe Torre, Don Zimmer, Mel Stottlemyre, and assorted other beloved ones.

... I saw Joey Fatone in "Rent." In the middle of his big song n' dance number, he incorporated famed dance moves from N*Sync's "Bye Bye Bye." The crowd -- and I -- went wild.

... I have seen in concert: John Mayer, Billy Joel, R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen, the cast of Z100's 1997 Jingle Ball (including Lisa Loeb, Savage Garden, Aerosmith, The Backstreet Boys, Sixpence None the Richer).

... I will soon see in concert: Missy Elliott, Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Madonna.

Hmmm. That was fun. And now I'm tired, so my full belly is just going to have to deal with being horizontal ...

No comments: