Tuesday, May 4

CHANGE IS GOOD . . .

... but that don't mean I gotta like it or be comfortable with it.

1. JWu is leaving the East Coast in exactly twenty-six days to start his family practice residency on the Wrong Coast. I don't like it.

2. Wonger is getting married in exactly seventeen days, the fourth of the L.O.L. to get hitched. I like it, but I'm not comfortable in a dress and high heels. Plus, I gotta get my hair did. Hee, hee!

3. I'm on the very verge of moving out and living on my own, without the prospect of "going home for vacation." I like it, but the planning and preparations and financing are driving me crazy! Plus, where does one really get a good deal on furniture?

4. NHF is going to implement new care groups and really ramp up the programs that have lain dormant for a couple of years. Of course I like it, but (she says in a whisper with a sheepish and shy expression on her face) I kind of like where I've been and who I've been with.

5. Cheech follows JWu to the Wrong Coast in three months to start his medical training. I like it, but who's gonna look out for my little one?!?!?!?

***

COOLNESS . . .

The Honorable Constance Baker Motley sounds like one totally hip and cool lady. The ninth of twelve children born to Caribbean immigrants, she went to Columbia Law School (Class of 1946), became the first African-American woman to serve in the New York State Senate, the first woman elected as Manhattan Borough President, the first candidate for that office to be endorsed by the Republicans, the Democrats and the Liberals, the first black woman appointed to the federal bench (she currently sits on the U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, baby!), the first woman to serve as chief judge of that Court. All that, AND she was part of the NAACP team that litigated and argued the Brown v. Board of Education cases before the Supreme Court.

Damn.

Talk about a swift kick in the pants. I'm sitting around thinking about what to make for lunch tomorrow and worrying if I'm ever going to get married and fretting over who is going to get booted from "American Idol" and trying to motivate myself to get up and run in the mornings, when there is so much more I could be doing with my bad self.

Duly chastened.

No comments: