Monday, August 16

OLYMPICAL . . .

I am a big Olympics sloot. Even this year, with the utter lack of interest and advertising and the spectre of terrorism looming large, I am quickly sucked in. The biased reporting bugs me still, and I wish I had the ability to access foreign media, as well as the knowledge to read other languages, so I could gain a better understanding of what's going on and how other countries are feeling. But some moments stand out after two evenings of watching the competitions ...

... what's with the 'roided-up women's gymnastics team? And are they REALLY women or just bulky little girls? One who shall remain unnamed closely resembles a troll: small head, no neck, abnormally large upper body. Her arms don't hit her sides when she walks. And what's the story with the glitter, glitter, everywhere? And the BAD eyeliner job. Sheesh.

... the women's floor routine is dorky. The men aren't much better, but at least they get some serious air.

... the men's gymnastics uniforms are dorky too. But at least they have serious speed and serious strength.

... I have to say, though, that I really shouldn't make fun of the girls' gymnastics team. We saw a clip of their training routine. It was scary. They could kick my butt for real and I wouldn't have rat's ass of a chance.

... Ian Thorpe is still a cutie.

... were we supposed to know that Japan had a hard-core gymnastics team? Well, I didn't know, but consider me duly impressed.

... it's interesting to see who we root for when there is no American or Korean in the race. Watching a women's swim competition last night, we rooted loudly and proudly for the Australian ... but only because the French contender was scary-looking.

... it's laughable watching 6'2" American women volleyball players tromping on 5'8" Japanese women volleyball players. Unfair!

... I think I find the swim competitions the most exciting and most interesting. Probably because I can't swim, so I must live vicariously.

No comments: