Wednesday, August 4

PROUD TO BE . . .

Remember when you were in high school, or even college? It was soooo cool to declare to anyone who would listen: "Oh, I didn't read the book at all!" or "I am sooo unprepared for this test!" or "I totally didn't study!" or some other similar silliness. Sometimes, we were telling the truth and were utterly dismayed, and we were totally unprepared for what that school day would hold for us. Sometimes, we had stayed up the whole night studying, but didn't want to be viewed as nerds who might actually study for a good grade, much less desire a good grade. And sometimes, we were telling the truth, but proud of it; proud of the fact that we were too busy, too cool, too occupied with other things, too "above" the bourgeoisie who studied or read a book or worked hard at something The Man required of us.

Why did we do this?

I see versions of this behavior manifesting itself in adults around me, and I'm sure I indulge in such stupidity myself. "Oh, I totally don't read the newspaper!" or "I don't read; I'm far too busy!" or "Haha, I have no idea what Kerry and Bush are about." The strange thing is, while the speakers of such declarations seem to be telling the truth, I can't fathom three things: (1) why they would confess these realities; (2) why they seem to be so proud of their statements; and (3) their motive in informing people of their apparent and proud ignorance.

If I read the newspaper, are you telling me that I am some kind of sucker, being manipulated by the damn liberal media? You're probably correct, but is this really a reason to be uninformed? If I read a book, are you telling me that that make me a lazy member of some academic elite who finds pleasure in literature? Maybe you're right again, but does being non-literate and unimaginative really make one a better person? If I keep up with politics and try to educate myself about the upcoming election, are you telling me I am feeding into the messy political circus of this nation, and heading towards simply choosing the lesser of two evils? You are most likely correct once more, but in a world where people are dying to be able to vote in a free election, wouldn't I simply be self-indulgent and irresponsible to ignore my right to know and right to vote? And what is the big whoop about not keeping up with current events anyway? I'd be downright embarrassed if I didn't know certain things at my age or didn't care about certain things given my station in life ...

I just don't get it. Most of the people I know have busted their behinds for most of their lives trying to attain higher and higher levels of education. In fact, it has been absolutely required of most of us. Yet we are always saying "Oh, I don't know anything about that" and being proud of it. When is it going to stop being cool to NOT know and start being damn awesome to KNOW? Rise up, my people! Do not be afraid of information and knowledge and complex political systems and (as applied to me) articles about the economy, which are filled with numbers and percentages and -- zzzz. Get informed and get knowledge and read the paper and learn about how this country and this world operate, and be proud of that!

***

ALL NATURAL, BABY . . .

I like natural foods stores. They kind of scare me, with all their wheat germ and vitamins and vegan food products and grey "hot dogs" and industrial cardboard packaging. But I like having the option to eat just a touch healthier: less salt, fewer calories, fresher ingredients, less meat, more vegetables. I like that I pay slightly more for food products that are crunchier, more flavorful, less greasy or more perfectly al dente. I enjoy trying to find a perfect fruit among a pile of perfect fruits. I like being faced with the prospect that I can live a more healthful life, eating more natural ingredients, and figuring out how to make my meals tasty without soaking them with oil, salt, and other things that are bad for me in excess.

As a slight tangent ... I'm glad I'm Korean. Being Korean makes eating well and being healthy slightly easier, I think. Korean cuisine is chock-full of fresh and semi-raw, if not totally raw, vegetables, leafy greens, heart-healthy onions and garlic and ginger. Koreans don't eat that much meat, but when we do, it's all lean meat. No fatty chunks or swirls for us. (And yes, the expensive fat-free meat IS worth it!) We eat lots of fish and tofu and beans. We have low-fat, low-calorie seasonings: some salt and pepper here, some hot pepper paste there, and of course a splash of sesame oil. Our food has always been historically steamed or blanched or broiled, and served with light garnishes of flavor -- frying and extreme sauces are, I'm sorry, a Western demand. We've got your folic acid, your vitamins A, B and E, your omega-3 fatty acids, your protein, your fiber.

And the best part is: you can get everything you want and more at a Korean grocery store ... for more than half the price offered at Mrs. Green's or Whole Foods. Which still won't stop me from gawking up and down their aisles and wondering what exactly arginine and naringin would do for me ...

No comments: