Sunday, August 22

WHAT IT IS . . .

The zap and the scent ... see me see ... the gaze is heavy ... the weight of realization ... staticky ... a sideways glance and smirkiness ... ton of bricks ... big pink elephant, gotta call it what it is ... a sideways glance the other way ... me too ... common ground stepped upon ... hear me under my breath ... a snort and a chuckle ... share it ... this could drag on forever ... let it.

***

NEVER SEE THE DAY . . .

This morning, I sat with my breakfast and coffee and watched the women's Olympic marathon. I mean, I WATCHED it. I watched a bunch of women run. A really long time. Actually, I had to hop in the shower around the third mile, but I still watched the entire first two-and-a-half miles of women simply running. They ran and ran and ran. Some women fell down at a water station, tripping all over each other. They threw their water cups to the side, considerately trying to avoid hitting another competitor. Women are nice like that. Then they ran and ran and ran some more. Some random folks along the sidelines ran with them (I always find that so stupid. It makes me want to heckle them.) And they ran and ran and ran. At least until I had to turn the television off.

What an interesting morning.

***

HIS LIFE . . .

One of the reasons I like my pastor so much is because he's just one of us. He's goofy, he cheats at Scrabble, he wolfs down food and he's late for appointments. But the fact remains that he's still my pastor, so of course I assume that he's still always weightier, more serious, and at least a touch holier than me and the rest of us. Sometimes I wonder if, in the privacy of his own home, he doesn't just sit around in his boxers not having showered all day, eat cereal dry right out of the box, and pick his nose. I mean, he must, right?

No comments: