Wednesday, October 13


Mo ... my more golden golden boy. Posted by Hello

According to today's New York Daily News ...

Rivera's day was draining. After the funeral, he flew for nearly five hours, emotionally spent. But when he arrived, he immediately told pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre that he could pitch. He rode to the bullpen in a golf cart through the tunnels underneath the Stadium in the fifth inning, like he does during every game and when he saw backup catcher John Flaherty, his usual riding partner, he said, "Let's go, buddy."

"I knew what was going to happen when he got to the bullpen, with the fans and everything," said Flaherty, referring to the huge hand Rivera got from the spectators nearby. "It was incredible."

Rivera gave up two hits in the ninth and the Red Sox had their final chance, but the righthander got Bill Mueller, who had beaten him earlier this year with a two-run homer, to hit into a game-ending double play. Rivera shook his teammate's hands and Derek Jeter gave him an extra squeeze at the end.

"I've been with Jeter so many years, since the minor leagues," Rivera said. "We have the kind of relationship that nobody can break. He's my friend, my teammate and I love him."

Rivera stressed that he wanted to pitch and told his family his teammates needed him.

"I was coming here to pitch," Rivera said. "I came here and my friends, my teammates treated me like a king and that was something special and I appreciate that."


They treat him like a king because he IS one, and I'm NOT just being mushy.

No comments: