Saturday, November 13

OH, NO, IT DI'IN'T . . .

It snowed last night. My car has a light dusting of WHITE SNOW on it.

Damn. There go my hopes for a balmy 65-degree winter.

***

YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY . . .

I have never bought seafood from the seafood section of a grocery store or a fish market before. Today, I must buy bay scallops. I'm unsure of how I'm going to do this. Do I go up to the person behind the seafood counter at my local Super Stop & Shop and say "Hi, I'd like a pound of bay scallops, please"? Or is it self-serve, where I tear off a big plastic baggie and grab the scoop and pick out the best-looking scallops myself? Do I have to take a number, or will the seafood counter-person call out to me, "Can I help you, miss"? And what am I looking for anyway? Is there a difference between bay scallops and sea scallops ... other than that one apparently is from the sea and the other comes from a bay? What if the bay flows into a sea? Do I want the big plump scallops just because they look like they'd be really tasty and juicy, or do I want the little ones because they are actually what one would call 'bay scallops'?

Ugh. As a dear friend would say, I think too much. Let me hie myself to my snow-covered car and venture into the unknown.

No comments: