Thursday, March 31

SHIVER . . .

Pope John Paul II was apparently given his last rites, even though doctors cautiously say he will recover from his high fever.

I'm not Catholic (probably never could be, even if I wanted), and I certainly disagree so often with the teachings and stances of the Catholic Church and the Vatican ... but I'm still chilled to the bone. I strangely do not doubt that the Pope is a faithful man who loves God and wants only peace to reign on this earth and among humanity. I just don't doubt this. I don't doubt that he is a strong man, able to withstand the ebb and flow of culture and society, and willing to stand against popular opinion on behalf of the tenets he holds to with all of his being. Who among the rest of us are so consistent and faithful to our beliefs? I don't doubt that he lived a life of sacrifice, and that he did much of it in private, not for show and not for public acclaim. I don't doubt that he spent hours a day praying for this world, praying for good health to come to the sick, prosperity to come to the poor, wisdom to come to nations' leaders, peace to come to those at war. I just don't doubt any of this.

Thus, though I might disagree -- and heartily so -- with his interpretations and applications of Scripture, though I might view his teachings and actions as divisive and exclusive ... I cannot turn away from this man, and be saddened at the thought that we as creation might be losing a human of faith, whose entire existence was for God at the expense of himself. Would that the Lord would call him homeward without pain or discomfort. Would that the Spirit would allow his legacy to be not only one of conservatism, but one of mercy, thoughtfulness, gentleness and humility.

***

MY KNEES ARE HANGING IN . . .

And I hope you will too. Thirty days until the Revlon 5k Run/Walk for Women's Cancers ... don't forget to support me or my team.

No comments: