Saturday, June 11

PLAIN TRUTH . . .

The bare fact of the matter is this: persons will go on and on about how much they love you, how much they love everything about you, how much they would do anything for you, but the bottom line really is that when a speed bump approaches, or when things don't go exactly their way, or when you don't act the way they want you to, that love disappears just a little bit. Or they withhold their love. Or they convince themselves that you must not love them fully back.

That's just human nature, I suppose. Our egos, though created by the Almighty, are so fragile and so needy, and every affront -- real or perceived -- can wound so deeply. I understand that, and though it frustrates me to try to convince my loved ones of my love and devotion and dedication, I know that I must, because that is something I too would wish.

But it also makes me consider that much more how precisely unconditional God's love is. He doesn't get miffed if I don't do exactly what He wants when He wants it. He doesn't talk about me behind my back. He doesn't glare at me balefully, or huff and puff in exasperation. He doesn't give me the cold shoulder, or say "whatever" to me, or make me grovel for His eyes to rest gently upon me. He doesn't ever, EVER do any of these utterly human and base and needful things.

And so, although I toss and turn in minor turmoil about potential brokenness, I also rest myself in His fulfilling and satisfying love.

***

GRATITUDE . . .

For prayers and thoughtfulness. For unexpected good times. For friends sticking through thick and thin and thick and thin again. For insights and amusements and distractions that heal. You know who you are.

***

IF I HAVEN'T GONE TO SLEEP, IT'S STILL FRIDAY . . .

What is your favorite...

1. ...Smell?
Clean un-cologned man ... percolating coffee ... kimchi jigae ... rain ... jasmine tea ... meat grilling on a summer evening ... clean powdery baby.

2. ...Sound? Whir of cars going by on the highway ... multitude of voices united in song ... piano and guitar ... the voice of a loved one ... that harmony that is right on, but just slightly off and waiting to resolve.

3. ...Flavor? Coffee ... salt ... savory.

4. ...Word? Pumpkin ... quantum ... panties ... cardiologist ... histrionic ... pudding ... f*cker.

5. ...Sight? Passionate, gentle smile ... sun rising, risen, or setting ... beloved family and/or friends relaxing, in repose ... me in the mirror on a day that I feel sassy and confident ... clean and orderly desk, room, closet.

No comments: