Thursday, July 7

REDUX . . .

My heart is most aggrieved this morning.

I recall, sfter 9/11 and as the United States was commencing its war in Iraq, people saying to me, "if other countries had suffered what we have suffered, then they wouldn't be so against joining in this war." And I remember thinking, "what kind of animal ARE you that you would wish this kind of suffering upon ANYone, just so they can join us in our war-mongering sentiment? How could you wish 9/11 upon any country, any citizenry, any human?" I remember feeling that I would be glad to take one for the team, to have my country be the only one to hurt, if it meant that such pain would never again be inflicted upon or experienced by anyone else.

Unfortunately, my invisible desire to bite the bullet wasn't conveyed to The Bad Guys. They strike again, and again, and again. And today, London reels as America reeled. London weeps as America wept. London got the same sucker-punch whose bruises still linger on America's thick skin. London starts its own trek down the rocky path to normalcy; do we tell them that there is no such end?

Most shocking is the universality of the images. The dirty and bloody survivors being led away, the stretchers being rushed to waiting ambulances, the yellow police tape, the convergence of law enforcement personnel. So familiar to one's eyes and visual memory.

There is no satisfaction in knowing that the United States is no longer alone in its standing as victim. None. What alleviation is to be gained knowing that now there's someone else who will understand what 9/11 was to us, what devastation terrorism wreaked upon our nation? None. What comfort do we glean from the agony of others? None.

Sorrow is the only appropriate way to express oneself today.

***

REQUIEM . . .

The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters,

He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for His name's sake.

Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.


-- Psalm 23

No comments: