Friday, September 9

YAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNN . . .

Dang, I'm sleepy. Why is it that the best conversations always happen after midnight? This was true in senior year of high school, this was true throughout college and law school, and it's true now, well into my "adulthood." I am enjoying it though, and soaking it in, because I know that I won't have the freedom to grab one more hour of sleep in the morning for very long. And I know that when I'm eighty, I simply won't have the stamina to stay up much longer past the early-bird special ... though I dare to dream.

***

GUSHING . . .

I never believed it until recently: lack of sleep is dangerous. I always plowed through tiredness in my school-going days, and the occasional tripping down a flight of stairs or the momentary memory loss never fazed me. But lately, it's a whole new ballgame. I can feel my brain slow down as it tries to scan the dictionary for the appropriate word to insert into the sentence I'm speaking. I am fortunate that I haven't had occasion to drive long distances in the past couple of days. I am lucky to have friends who forgive my short-term memory loss and will finish my thoughts for me. Still ... last night, after the stragglers of the Missions Team left my house after an official meeting-turned-who's-your-favorite-author discussion, I sliced my finger with a sharp knife while washing the dishes. Left thumb, right at the point where the skin meets the nail at the tip of the finger. Talk about owie.

***

KAHN-YAY . . .

I just caught Kanye West's appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. I forgive him for being inflammatory (even though I reluctantly agreed with him last week). This morning, he was coherent, articulate, eloquent, moving, honest, sincere, teary-eyed, angry, and true. And he gave good reasons -- not defended, but gave good reasons -- for why he said the things he said last week during NBC's, and he was telling the truth. I felt that he was not manufacturing his response, not doing damage control, not apologizing, but also not being a jerk about anything. These days, it's rare to find a public figure who will speak honestly, from the heart, with conviction, and speak words of truth -- even if the words are true only for him. Two snaps in a circle for Kanye. I am moved once more.

***

TONIGHT: UNIMPORTANT . . .

Red Sox versus Yankees. Tonight. 7:05pm. I love that it's sort of cloudy and cool and damp today. This is the beginning of fall baseball, a season unto itself. It's when I bust out the socks and sneakers, bundle up a few sweatshirts (of varying thicknesses, you know, to account for fluctuations in wind patterns, duh), and anticipate a cup of hot chocolate instead of a cold beer. It's when the warmth of a hotdog is truly satisfying and the congealed orange of cheese fries is particularly hilarious. It's when you hold your sleeve-covered fists up to your nose to breathe warmth into your hands, but you have to keep your eyes clear so you can watch the players shiver slightly on the cooling field. And it's when tempers simmer down -- yes, even at a Red Sox matchup -- so that everyone can finally, truly, enjoy American's favorite pasttime.

***

TONIGHT: IMPORTANT . . .

Tonight, all the major networks will be airing "Shelter From the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast," a benefit concert to raise funds for survivors of the Hurricane. (The Hurricane. Isn't it remarkable that all it needs now is a clarifying article, "The," and the noun can be capitalized, "Hurricane," and we all know what we're talking about? It's like it's the natural disaster equivalent of Madonna or Cher.) Sheryl Crow, the Dixie Chicks, Alicia Keys, Randy Newman, Paul Simon, Rod Stewart and Neil Young will be among the performers. Tune in. Pay attention. Pay up. Give lots. Remember always that these are our people, yours and mine, and this is our country, yours and mine, and what goes around does indeed come around, for one when is blessed, all are blessed.

No comments: