Thursday, January 5

OUR WORLD . . .

Go see "Munich." Take your brain and your heart with you, because you won't want to leave those out of the experience.

I hate seeing the state of our world sometimes. I hate knowing that people are so angry, disappointed, disenfranchised, hateful, passionate, that the only way they see is killing. I hate knowing that no one is exempt from this. There is a line in the movie where one of the Jewish main characters says to another, "We are supposed to be righteous." And yet so much has happened that they cannot hold onto that any longer. None of us really can. How awful. "Munich," telling the story of an event of thirty years ago, translates accurately to today. None of us are exempt, and the killing hasn't ended.

But seeing the state of the world now makes me unafraid to die, because in death and in heaven, there will be no more of this. No more vengeance and bombs and children losing parents and nations without a home. How wonderful that will be.

(Another thing I hate: seeing that history is not remembered. Waiting outside the theater for my friend and watching other moviegoers leave "Munich," I heard a group of young college students discussing the movie. "Oh, I thought it was real, but if it's based on a BOOK, it must be fiction." "Yeah, I thought it was too crazy for that to happen at the Olympics. I mean, come ON!" "Totally. That's so fake. But they made it look so real, huh?" And I wanted to stop them, slap them around like the penguins from "Madagascar," and scream, "IT WAS REAL. IT HAPPENED. HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW AND HOW CAN YOU BE SO FLIPPANT ABOUT THESE HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE THINGS? WILL YOU NOT CARE AND WILL YOU NOT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY UNTIL IT HAPPENS TO YOU?" Okay, so maybe the movie affected me more than it might affect most. But still. Know history, would you?)

No comments: