Sunday, February 12

MY ACHING SLOOT HEART . . .

MIchelle Kwan has pulled out of the Olympics. Oh, my aching, aching heart.

I'm not being facetious. I feel and have always felt a great affinity and care for Michelle Kwan, a 25-year-old woman I have never met and probably never will. No, I'm not going to start stalking her or anything like that. But I have always been a fan of hers. Maybe because she's Asian? Maybe because she's an immigrant's daughter publicly living out an American dream? Maybe because she just seems like an intelligent and nice person who deserves great things?

Whatever it is, I am deeply sad for her. At the same time, I'm also glad for her. The world is full of people who are not humble and realistic enough to let go of something when it's just not going to work out for them. Michelle Kwan skating through injury and pain -- that would've been dumb. Giving up her Olympic slot for Emily Hughes, who might be a medal contender for the American team -- that's smart, and gracious, and humble, and just the right thing to do.

Still ... the Olympic sloot in me will miss Michelle Kwan terribly when ladies' skating night rolls around on the 21st. She had something that hasn't been seen on the ice in a long time. Sarah Hughes had that great exuberance, Sasha Cohen has an aloof sort of grace, Emily Hughes has a youthful vigor, Nancy Kerrigan had pure strength ... but Michelle Kwan had it all. My Winter Olympics experience just won't be the same.

No comments: