Friday, December 22

THE GRIND . . .

So, in a few weeks, I have to find another position, preferably full-time (although I have developed a serious liking for the part-time "consulting" position). And I recently got my resume critiqued again and damned if my time off didn't come back to bite me in the butt. Never mind that I was up to my curly hair in work for NHF -- it was all unofficial and volunteer and I just didn't know how to explain it to anyone.

I finally inserted a paragraph about my "work" for NHF into my resume, and then immediately started to experience all sorts of pangs of guilt and immorality for doing so. After all, isn't church service supposed to be on a volunteer basis (unless you're on staff, I suppose), and isn't it supposed to be for God's glory, not my own? To put my "work" on my resume seemed like I was using what I had done out of the love I had for God and for the folks in my church family for my own benefit, to advance and serve myself. Yes, I spent a lot of woman-hours doing things, but I enjoyed it so much, it didn't feel like work. To qualify it as "work" and list it as a "job" and expect recognition for it, even from outsiders, seemed so ... base.

But this is why you have friends like the friends I have:

    hold up! Do not feel an ounce of guilt! Just because you write your work at and with NHF on your resume does not all of a sudden change any of it... God gave you time to serve Him like that and He will use that time to honor Him... think about every time you'll have to explain what you did during that time and how you can glorify Him in your description of that time and how you can possibly bless someone who interviews you... how you can play a part in planting a small seed in someone's heart or opening the door for someone to ask you more about Jesus...

    Lady... this is not about serving yourself - it's about glorifying Him... if you need to describe what you did for NHF on your resume... do it well and make it so that everyone will ask you questions about that time... do not be ashamed of that time rather let it be glorifying to Him in every way...

    sorry for the preachy tone - I just can't believe that you feel badly about writing your service on your resume... it absolutely shows a lot of your talents, passions and skills... any job interviewer should want to see that and know that about you... it sets you apart from others and makes them say "wow we want her to work here."

Her words have given me reason to pause and reflect on the last year. Indeed, it was such a unique and special time, both personally and for me in relation to church life and service. It certainly does seem true that God gave me these past months on purpose to do specific things, to grow in particular ways, to receive unique and amazing blessings and happiness, to endure especial hardships and pain, and to become the woman I am now. I'm not too different from who I was a year ago, but changes took place and I am different. All because I had a full year to change and grow and live. I am so thankful for it.

And she's right. People are going to ask me questions about that year, about what I did, about church. People might even (inappropriately for a job interview) ask me about my faith. (Heck, I might not even get to talk to some people because they'll think I'm weird and churchy, which is too bad, because I'm really fun to work with and I make good coffee.) And if I profess that I want everyone to know Jesus and live in His life-giving love, and if I profess that I want to live my own life all out for Him ... then it's time to start putting my resume where my mouth is.

So thanks, lady, for the uplifting and refocusing words.

I hope all of you are surrounded by friends like these. Else, how would you get by?

No comments: