Wednesday, December 13

SMALL AND CHEAP . . .

I'm not one of those folks who go around carrying a large (or even a healthy-sized) sense of entitlement. I don't assume that people are ready to celebrate my birthday, or pay attention to my accomplishments, or have me on their Christmas gift lists. I don't think it's because I think I'm worthless or easily overlooked -- my big mouth often prevents the latter. It just doesn't occur to me that I am on people's minds enough to be on the receiving end of goodies.

So I was really touched to receive a small and cheap gift that isn't even a gift, not for an occasion anyway. It's just something the giver thought I would like but would never purchase for myself, something the giver searched for because he really just wanted to get me something and wanted to find that perfect something. I'm more touched that the giver was thinking of me, had been thinking of me, and reminded me that he's always thinking of me.

Sometimes, these nuggets of care and love, these reminders that I am on the forefront of somebody's brain, are just enough to carry me through the hard and uncertain times.

My little goodie, given from a huge heart, is nothing grand. It certainly is small and inexpensive. But cheap? Never.

No comments: