Friday, April 4

I'm feeling appreciative today. Maybe it's the chilly-rainy-weather-outside-so-I-feel-cozy-inside feeling that makes me thoughtful. So today, in no particular order, I will appreciate some of my favorite people-who-are-not-my-family. Don't be sad you're not on the list -- it's not comprehensive, and you might show up on a later list on another rainy pensive day . . .

1. Hooch: I'm looking right at her so she popped into my head first. I work with Hooch. Hooch makes me laugh. Hooch makes me roll my eyes in mock exasperation. Hooch talks to me in South Park voices and sings to me in cat voices. Hooch slings out one-liners faster than I can blink. Hooch is smart and helps me with my work. Hooch has the most gorgeous smile and reddest hair. Hooch has a hot tub I am going to hang out in (but that's not the only reason I like her).

2. MsJKo: (What a pathetic attempt to protect these people's identities -- anyone from NHF could figure THAT one out . . ..) MsJKo also makes me laugh. MsJKo tells the best stories about work. MsJKo prays ceaselessly and encourages me to do the same. MsJKo has unending faith and bottomless humility. MsJKo drinks a lot of coffee like me. MsJKo doesn't like vegetables and it's fun to try to make her eat them. MsJKo loves to sing to me. MsJKo has more energy than anyone I've met, and thus recharges my spirits.

3. Ha: Ha is my sister, or at least should have been. Ha seasons food exactly as I would. Ha is goofy and honest and laughs a lot. Ha makes funny shapes with her chin. Ha spills her guts to me and receives mine in return. Ha lets me poke her little baby for fun and call her Froggy Legs. Ha doesn't laugh when I tell her my most shameful insecurities. Ha prays for me and mine from 3000 miles away. Ha married a man who is like a brother (and who torments me like I'm his LITTLE sister!). Ha sleeps a lot -- I can relate to that.

4. Wonger: Wonger is my soul sista, even though we're both Asian-er than Asian. Wonger will toss back a beer with me. Wonger stalks Yankee players with me. Wonger understands what I say, even when I don't say it. Wonger knows the right questions to ask and the right moments to tell me I'm okay. Wonger likes the same stupid things I do -- and wait, they're not stupid! Wonger teases me about being attracted to girly-men.

5. Soy: Soy keeps me busy during the day . . . emailing. Soy decorates her home in warm, soothing colors. Soy is calm, intelligent, intuitive and sensitive. Soy can crack me up with a glance out of the corner of her eye. Soy is trustworthy. Soy knows what's what, with me, with herself, with everyone -- she takes no BS from anyone. Soy takes care of me. Soy longs for weekly massages as much as I do. Soy is in tune with her Lord and encourages me to be the same.

6. Jaime: I feel I have to add at least one man to the list, so I will add Jaime. Jaime is funny and spazzy -- for example, he prays for the lobsters to wake up (there IS a context to that). Jaime makes Soy very happy. Jaime is a good leader and inspirer (I doubt that's a word, but it sounds less cheesy than "an inspiration."). Jaime is unafraid to be open and honest. Jaime has no shame . . . in a good way. Jaime is stable and mature without being stodgy. Jaime is philosophical and makes the rest of us think a little harder. Jaime is a good man who is starting to become a true brother to me (no slam on my blood bro).

I'm so happy right now.

No comments: