Wednesday, May 28

AS PROMISED . . .

Another gray day. Once again, a pensive mood. As promised on April 4, 2003, I give you some more favorite-people-who-are-not-family. My list was woman-heavy last time, so I'll summon up some men I appreciate this time around . . .

7. Dr. JY: Dr. JY is married to my dearest friend, and they live too far away from me for my liking. Dr. JY is deeply intelligent and knows it, but also isn't afraid to encourage me to use my brain too. Dr. JY picks on me like I'm his sister, but his toothy grin makes it all too goofy to take seriously. Dr. JY is on the eternal hunt for my perfect husband. Dr. JY is so good to my dearest friend, I can forgive him anything. Dr. JY is very passionate about the things he believes in, but not in a vacuous way -- he actually knows what he's talking about. Dr. JY talks very loudly, and then I talk very loudly to overpower him, and then he talks even louder, until we're screaming at each other about how much we both like ja-jang-myun.

8. Dr. SC: Dr. SC is the husband of my partner-in-baseball-crime, SZH. Dr. SC doesn't talk much, but when he does, it's usually pretty interesting. Dr. SC loves the Mets, and I love tormenting him about how much better the Yankees are. I don't know Dr. SC as well as I know other people, but he's amusing, intelligent and kind enough to keep around so I can get to know him better. Dr. SC coos at his wife, and it is so funny. Dr. SC loves his work, loves teaching people to do the same work, and loves taking care of the people who need his work. Dr. SC has made my friend SZH whole.

9. JW: JW is almost a Dr. (why break the pattern now, right?). I've only been friends with JW for about 5 months, but I feel like he's been family for years. JW is sensitive without being a doormat, smart without being a know-it-all, and talented without being a show-off. JW is also clean (which is more than can be said for many men out there, you know). JW is faithful and encourages others to be the same. JW watches the same movies and television that I do, and loves them just as much. JW cares about his friends and remembers their likes & dislikes, important events and most embarrassing moments, but will almost never use any of these things against them.

10. C: C is naughtier than a father-to-be-of-twins should be. C also has a heart of gold that mostly nullifies the naughtiness. C has a sharp wit, an infinite pool of humor, a hard-working brain and a beautifully strong wife who keeps all of these elements in check when necessary. C is unafraid to speak his mind, to put himself on the line, to forgive, or to ask for forgiveness. C is generous with his time, money, energy and hospitality. C will probably be a better father than he thinks.

11. JJ: I'll throw in a woman for good measure . . . JJ has the most genuine smile and the most honest laugh. JJ looks you in the eye when you're talking to her. JJ is generous, hospitable, forgiving and compassionate, but don't you be slinging bull at her because she's not going to take it sitting down. JJ has a healthy attitude towards everything and a remarkable ability to roll with the punches. JJ is wise beyond her years, encouraging her friends, accommodating her family, and loving her husband even when he pulls his shorts up to his chest and acts like a doofus. JJ has hidden talents that I can't wait to see emerge.

Yay. I'm so pleased.

(I just got really freaked out because I forgot that Hooch's head was staring at me, so when I looked up and saw her face, I almost fell out of my chair.)

No comments: