Thursday, June 5

ALL IN A DAY'S WORK . . .

I don't write a lot about my work as a federal judicial law clerk. Believe me, it's not for lack of excellent stories.

In the past two years, I think I've seen it all, and if I haven't, then my remaining year is sure to show it to me. But it's just the nature of the game. Any other attorney is under certain restrictions regarding what she can and cannot reveal about her work, her clients, and her cases. Law clerks, being representatives of the judges for whom they work, are under even more restrictions, including those based on loyalty to the boss and service to the public. Given that my judge is pretty much the best, most upstanding and honorable, fairest and most conscientious, kindest and most compassionate, smartest and wittiest judge around, my loyalty to him is unwavering. Given that I have decided to devote the rest of my adult life in service to the public in one way or another, my loyalty to it is firm. So, unfortunately, I can't say anything substantive about what I do.

But that's not to say that there's nothing to tell. TRUST ME.

When I'm old and gray and not mentally capable of caring about being disbarred, I'll write a tell-all. I'm sure all 10 advance copies will sell like hotcakes.

No comments: