Thursday, August 7

QUESTION DU JOUR . . .

Is it better to know things or to not know them?

For example, is the quality of my heart made any better by knowing that someone I don't like doesn't like me in return? Do the mutual dislikes cancel each other out, thus creating a mutual like, or at least a healthy mutual respect? Or does the mutual disliking strengthen the originally individual and discrete dislikes, to transform them into festering anger and hatred? Or does it cause me to become self-righteous: after all, I have a legitimate reason -- of course -- to dislike the other party but what have I done to offend him or her to make him/her dislike me in return? Or does it cause me to disdain the other person even more, for disliking me without (apparent) reason? Is my sadness at realizing that someone dislikes me -- even someone I dislike -- going to make me more self-aware and willing to change the not-so-great parts of my character, and cause me to alter my behavior so I am not so dislikable?

Or for example, is my life enriched by knowing that someone strongly disagrees with the way I live my life and conduct myself or my business (and I'm not talking about obviously disagreeable stuff, like criminal activity)? Will I become more defensive and blatant about continuing to live in this offensive manner, just to spite the other person? Will I be humble and see the errors of my ways, even if the errors never would have occurred to me otherwise? Will I take constructive criticism with an open mind or will I react and overreact and become angry? How afraid of change am I, and will I be able and willing to modify my conduct at all?

Or for example, should I just chalk it up to adventure when I learn of lost opportunities? Can I just say "Oh, it wasn't meant to be" or "It wasn't in God's plan for me," or is that a cop-out to justify me not being proactive? Or would it have been foolish and thoughtless to have pursued an opportunity that would not have panned out in the end? And for lost chances in matters of the heart, at what point should I stop guarding myself and let go with abandon to see what, if anything, will happen, or do I keep a steady heart so that I won't be hurt?

Or for example, should the whispered hints of ends justify the beginnings? Should I strive for something even if I know I probably won't achieve it in the end? Should I continue to do something even though I have an inkling that it's all for naught? Should I hope and pray for something even though I sense that it's not coming my way? Should I work hard and bear it out even if I can just coast and still reap the benefits? Should I expend blood, sweat and tears for things or people who don't do the same for me?

No comments: