Sunday, September 7

AND THE LAST SHALL BE FIRST . . .

They did it.

It blows my mind. I can't believe it. I chuckle everytime I think about it. They actually did it. And they came back alive, with stories to tell, and BOY, what stories they are!

C, DYC and JA actually completed the 2003 Balance Bar Adventure Race, starting at 8:05am and crossing the finish line at around 3:30pm. They overdosed on Balance Bars, resulting in crack-addict-like frenetic speech and behavior, and I believe a physical tic here and there. They paced a 6.5-minute mile on a wooded trail heading uphill. "Branch!" someone yelled, and they all covered their faces. "Root!" someone yelled, and they all looked down, ready to hop over the treacherous protrusion. They walked or toddled their mountain bikes around the trials. They rowed against all the conspiring forces of nature in a deflating inflatable kayak. They submerged themselves in water, bobbing along like babies' water toys in a bath, while holding their bikes above their heads. They swung from ropes, got lost in the woods, twisted knees, crawled through obstacles, and launched themselves over 12'-high walls. And they FINISHED.

They came in dead last. The Race volunteers were breaking down the obstacles behind them as they completed each task and picking up garbage left behind by earlier teams. There were merely three bottles of water left in the cooler. But they FINISHED.

They trundled into Soy's birthday dinner like old men. Still working off of mental adrenaline, the stories were told. After a good night's sleep, I expect they'll wake up unable to even muster the energy to blink awake, and be doddering around all week, exhausted by the effort required to brush their teeth, climb into their cars, squat on the toilet, lift a fork and knife. But they FINISHED.

I'm impressed. Not because I thought they couldn't do it, but because they did. Of course, the stories convinced me that I will NOT be doing such a thing myself -- EVER -- but I am still duly impressed at my friends. Good on them . . .

***

Happy Birthday, Soybean.

She's been through a tough few months. My only prayer for her next year of life is that it be rejuvenating and fulfilling in ways she never imagined. Let it begin with a massage . . .

***

Happy Birth Day, Derek.

The latest addition to the NHF family. Boy, your mother is going to be able to lay SUCH a guilt trip on you if you ever misbehave in your teenage years! What she and dad went through to get you out here to party with the rest of us . . . welcome.

We'll take good care of you.

No comments: