Tuesday, December 16

NOTHING FOR ME, THANKS . . .

Many of my friends and family members have been asking me "What do you want for Christmas?" My answer is always "nothing." I guess that's not the complete truth, and I shouldn't be surprised that no one believes me. Of course, there's always stuff I want for no important reason: more books, more clothes, a condo. But when I stop to think about it, what the heck am I going to do with all this stuff? (Aside from the condo, that is.) I don't need anything more, not with the limited space I have at home now anyway, and certainly not with me buying all this stuff for myself all the time! And besides, I really should learn to use my library card more, and not buy the same sweater in three different colors (although I still believe that is a cost-efficient way of maximizing one's wardrobe).

Luckily, there exists Whatgoesaround.org, which enables those who love me to give charitably in my name on special occasions, or just because. The site allows one to set up a list of organizations she supports, and her friends and family members can check the site, look her up, review her list, and see which group -- if any -- they want to donate to.

This works out better for everyone, I think. For the giver, there's no pressure to try to telepathically divine what the receiver would really like to have -- especially if the receiver's answer is going to be something like "a 2-bedroom condo in a good school district with hardwood floors, parking and laundry in the unit." For the receiver who needs and wants nothing, it is the perfect diversion for the affection of those who who need and want to give a gift. For the benefiting organization, it is just a few more much-needed dollars it can use to enrich the lives and improve the healths of our neighbors.

Everyone should join up, especially those of us who already have everything I need to survive, and more. Knock on wood, my house hasn't been burned by forest fires, I haven't been stricken by a life-threatening illness, I eat 3 (or more) full and balanced meals a day, I can wear what I want and read what I want and don't have to work two or more jobs to support myself. I need nothing; some need everything. So whatever you think you want to give me, give to a worthy organization instead, and we'll all have a very lovely Christmas.

No comments: