Tuesday, January 6

SIX DAYS IN . . .

It hasn't been the most eventful first six days of the year ever, but it'll do ... some highlights so far:

... JKA scolding me for not blogging for six days. "What's wrong with you?" she asks. Okay, okay, here I am. Tonight, I helped her and her hubster transport their new mini and cute treadmill from Sears to their apartment. First laughable fiasco: finding the Sears Merchandise Pick-up dock. I drove around and around and around, backing in and out of places I shouldn't have been backing in and out of, in an effort to find it. I finally did, and those poor folks were waiting for me the whole time, looking ever so forlorn in the Sears Merchandise Pick-up Waiting Room! Second laughable fiasco: driving around with an extra 130 lbs in the back of Good Girl. On the one hand, she was weighed down so she didn't bounce so happily over each and every pothole. On the other hand, she was weighed down. Third laughable fiasco: getting the humongous box out of Good Girl into the apartment. I can't yet tell if JKA and I were any help to JA or not ... I like to think we were, but it could just be that JA was the epitome of grace and patience. Final event was just laughable: JKA and JA standing by my car, arm in arm, waving and bowing as I drove off, in a parody of the cheesiest Korean couple greeting their departing guest. Please, spare me! ...

... we have a PA-STOR, we have a PA-STOR! Finally. PEK joined us for his first sermon as senior pastor at NHF (the only pastor, but who's counting) this past Sunday. The collective relief, excitement, rejuvenation, anticipation and sheer joy was tangible in the chapel. It's more than just having a leader; it's having a leader who is unafraid to lead, unafraid to challenge us to do hard work in rebuilding the spirit of NHF that might have been battered over the last year and a half, unafraid to befriend us and laugh at us and step on us, if necessary (Soy was in the way, he says), unafraid to take initiative and be creative and rally for more funds for music, unafraid to give an honest sermon and to exhort us to be honest with ourselves and with God as well. Yes, this is what I've gleaned from one day spent with PEK. I don't purport to know people, or have the ability to see into the future, but so far, I've got good vibes; NHF has good vibes, and it's been a long time coming ...

... I'm sick. I think I'm sick. I think I was getting sick and I'm fighting it. I think I might succumb. I think this has been a chronic part of my life since right before Thanksgiving or so. I don't think it's the flu. I think I'm just tired. I think I just need to sleep more. I think I have too much to do to sleep more. I think I can fight it some more. I think Comtrex will kill it, as it usually does. I think I'll take some cough syrup preemptively. I don't think I'll get sick ...

... the entire time that Camp Capio was in Florida, I've received daily weather updates from C. "It's 78 degrees and sunny, and it's only 10 in the morning!" "Today is a little humid and a tad cloudy, but it's 81 degrees and I'm in the pool." "I'm golfing today because it's a beautiful and sunny 75 degrees." "It gets down to about 65 degrees at night so I have to wear a fleece when I walk the dog." "It's 78 degrees again. I'm never coming home." "Tell your parents to retire here because it's 76 degrees and sunny. And there's lots of Koreans here." "My infant son is tanner than you because it's 80 degrees today and we went to the beach!" But Camp Capio had to return home sometime and when they drive into New York tomorrow, it's going to be a nice and airy 26-degree afternoon that greets them. Muhahahahaha! Let's see how long MJ's tan lasts now! Grrr ...

... speaking of vacation: I know I just had one, but I need another one. Anyone want to go somewhere with me? ...

No comments: