Friday, May 7

UPDATE . . .

Melanie's surgery went well; doctors removed her thyroid and surrounding lymph nodes, leaving her voice box and other important things untouched. Thank the Lord. She'll be home tomorrow ... but this whole process leaves me with remaining questions. In particular ... can one live without a thyroid? That's just weird.

...

MY HOMER SIMPSON MOMENT . . .

Must sign papers. Must find plumber. Must find electrician. They must not rip me off. Must buy essential furniture. Must not get ripped off buying furniture. Must recruit friends to move me in exchange for dinner and beer. Must paint bedroom and office. Must choose paint colors. Must not be overwhelmed by the 8,935 different paint color samples. Must fix window blind that I broke during inspection. Must not tell anyone about that. Must not let C tell anyone about that. Must power-wash the deck. Must bribe C into power-washing the deck in exchange for beer and free baby-sitting. Must hook up cable modem. Must not be without Internet connection for longer than absolutely necessary. Must not lose sleep over all of these things that will eventually work out. Must hire consultants to do all this for me.

...

SIX IS ENOUGH . . .

Six days without running. Six days of getting by with the bare minimum of aerobic activity: walking to and from my car, walking to and from the chair, walking to and from the sofa, walking to and from the dinner table, walking to and from my bed, walking to and from the bathroom. Enough is enough.

I don't know what warped logic would justify a "rest period" from a measly 5k -- a mere 3.2 miles. But I have rested and I'm sick of resting. The scale reads the same number, but in the span of a week, I have totally flabbed out. I'm not sleeping as well, my skin is not as ... glowy or something, my endorphins are not coursing through my body as energetically, and basically, I feel like crap.

You heard it here first, and I commit this to you: tomorrow, before heading to Wonger's fete, I run.

Beh.

...

Watched: "Love Actually"
Reading: "Truman," by David McCullough

No comments: