Tuesday, June 22

RAT BASTARDS . . .

They threw his body from a vehicle, with his head nearby.

Shrub says "that's what they're trying to do; they're trying to shake our will." Well, hear me and hear me well: MY WILL HAS BEEN SHAKEN. How many more grown men do you need to see wail on television "I DON'T WANT TO DIE!!!" Enough is enough.

There is no end to this.

I was telling Hooch today that I feel there is no hope.

Now, I am somewhat a pessimist, largely to save myself from disappointment or regret in certain situations. But I can't remember one point -- not ONE SINGLE POINT -- in my life when I have felt HOPELESS. Today, I feel hopeless. We are way past the point of no return in this war, this conflict, this extreme game of Chicken. It's too late to pull out our troops, any troops. It's too late to say "I'm sorry for invading your country and thinking I know better." It's too late to reinstate diplomatic relations. It's too late for educational or cultural exchange. It's too late for this generation of Iraqi children who have lost parents, siblings, relatives, loved ones, homes, schools, neighborhoods, childhoods. It's too late for American children who have lost parents to war and beheading. It's too late for tourists to see the rich lands of the Middle East. It's too late for peace, or even hateful but inactive coexistence.

We are now rushing headlong into mutual elimination. Even if we were to pull out now, even if all our troops were to leave, even if we let the Iraqis do whatever the hell they want with their own country (it IS still their own country, is it not?), even if we apologized. They, for whatever reason, hate us and everything about us. We, for whatever reason, hate them, even though we say we don't and put on a mask of benevolence and democracy. We have turned this world into utter chaos and anarchy. There are no more rules of engagement. There is no more negotiation or talking. There are no more truces or agreements. There are only savage beheadings, blustery words and misplaced determination to keep up the good fights. There is no turning back. Our only alternative now is to completely destroy each other. The hatred is too intense and too ... hateful. It burns and burns and BURNS and will burn across subsequent generations, and God's world will come to an end.

That is how hopeless I feel and at no time in my life thus far have I ever felt so desolate and sad. I want to kneel and pound the ground and ask my God WHY WHY WHY and lament for my nation and my world and my people and mourn the end of His creation.

***

POSTSCRIPT . . .

On the way home from dinner tonight -- a dinner which, while delicious and fun, seemed too misguided and unseemly in light of the horror that surrounds us -- it occurred to me that I am not one to be hopeless. That is not my calling. It is not up to me to have hope or not, for myself, for my loved ones, for my neighborhood or my world. That is not a decision that I can make, for the decision has already been made for me by One who died on the cross to save me and to save anyone who would simply have faith and believe.

Many people commented after the most recent Communion service that the Communion song was particularly lovely and touching. Not by our own strength or talent, but by His grace alone, we sang words that are strangely appropriate and comforting now:

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon the cross
My sin upon His shoulder
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom.

No comments: