Monday, July 26

SEASONS CHANGE . . .

Almost a full three years later and I still can't look head-on at an image of the World Trade Center towers. A stirring tribute by the mother of 9/11 victims at the start of the prime-time portion of the Democratic National Convention moved me once more ... but I had to leave the room and brush my teeth so I wouldn't have to listen to all of it. I can't bear to listen to all of it. People holding up lighters, people with tears running down their faces, a young teenage boy playing a mournful violin rendition of "Amazing Grace" ... I can't bear it still.

***

ACHOO . . .

Summer colds stink. They linger longer than other colds, and you can't sweat it out because ... well, because you're already sweating and so there's no refreshing "the fever has broken" feeling to look forward to. You're always going to be clammy. And when your body is wracked with chills and shivers and you wrap yourself in a blanket, you're still going to emerge clammy. It's not so bad when it's crappy outside and you can feel justified wallowing in bed at 6:00 in the afternoon. It's downright terrible when it's a gorgeous, non-humid 73 degrees outside, the sun is twinkling and a light breeze is blowing, and you just know it would be a perfect day for a leisurely bike ride. That is, if you weren't snotty, chilled, achy and bleary-eyed. And then there's the weird sensation of drinking orange juice. I hate orange juice. I only drink -- or even think of drinking -- orange juice when I'm sick or getting sick. When you see me sucking down OJ, you know it's bad. Sigh.

***

COMFORT FOOD . . .

I took a trip down memory lane this evening, all the way back to my college days, and rustled myself up some comfort food for dinner: black beans n' rice. Black bean soup, supplemented with chopped onions, chopped green pepper, hot salsa, garlic, salt & pepper, Tabasco sauce and scallions ... poured over white rice ... topped with a slightly undercooked fried egg. It didn't get rid of my drat cold, but it sure did make me feel better about being stuck inside on a gorgeous summer evening.

***

HILLARY . . .

She looks good. Say what you want about her, hate her, love her, don't consider her at all, but the lady looks good. Props to her stylist. Yellow is tough to pull off. Hillary pulled it off. Props. And she's smart. She may not be smart in the way that you would agree with, but she's smart. Gotta give her props for that too, because there are lots of stupid people out there ...

***

ENERGIZER BUNNY . . .

My autumn schedule has, in the span of 24 hours, filled up in a massive way. Already I feel guilty about having to ask for days off, and I know I'm going to have to buckle down at work to justify my asking ... but I'm psyched! Wedding showers, camping, bachelorette parties, baseball games, Block Island with the L.O.L.'s, doctor's appointments, church retreats. I won't be getting any sleep between now and November, but that's what sludgy coffee is for ...

***

SOCCER MOM . . .

I took custody of Camp Capio's minivan again this evening to prepare for my trip to the airport tomorrow. Dang, that car is heavy. Check out the gadunk-a-dunk-dunk on THAT! I can't even see the back of the car from the driver's seat ... I just hope it comes along with me when I turn corners and pray for the best. Lugging that baby down the Bronx River Parkway tomorrow evening in the rain should be just scads of fun.

***

DO NOT LOSE FAITH . . .

Watching the Democratic National Convention is interesting ... I thought I would be disgusted and ignore it completely. But as I sit here, even as part of me scoffs at the talking heads and dismisses the faux (or can it possibly be real?!) promises and passions of the politicians speaking at me, I can't help but feel and believe that this is what makes my country so great. Yeah, we are a messed-up people and we've got a long way to go in achieving a government that truly SERVES its citizens as public servants are meant to, but only in America can the two major political parties galvanize thousands of people to gather in one hot crowded arena to cheer and whoop and hold hands and jump and dance and sing and basically go nutso. I don't mean to get trite or cheesy -- politics, this election, the selection of our commander-in-chief is no minor, merely emotional matter -- but it's just great. My heart is a bit stirred at the fact that there are people out there who believe in a person, who believe in issues and resolving them, who care enough to show their faces at this Convention, as well as at the Republican Convention later on. It's just cool. (Kerry/Edwards still better win in November, though. Hee.)

***

THE OTHER ONE . . .

Bill looks good too. His hair is thinning and is whiter than ever -- I bet being in the doghouse for the past four years had something to do with that -- but he looks good. His nose somehow looks less bulbous. Good suit, good tie, and of course, again whether you like or hate him, he's a good speaker. Charisma goes a long way. Take notes, Shrub.

***

CLAMMY . . .

Ugh, I'm sweating again. I need more orange juice.

No comments: