Wednesday, November 10

SEASONS CHANGE . . .

Palestinian leader Yasir Arafat has died. The times, they are a-changin' ... someone will peg me an anti-Semite for even saying this, but ... I am sad. Obviously not because I knew the man. Perhaps I didn't even WANT to know him. But I am sad because watershed moments such as these keep coming and coming, and I wonder at the world's ability to keep up. Who will negotiate for peace in the Middle East now? Will Palestinian loyalists rise up in rage or in peace? Will Israel strike back or reach out a hand to shake? Will the United States tread lightly and carefully?

And what about the man himself? Was he really as evil as he was portrayed by others, and so roundly vilified? Could one person really have that much hate inside of him, with not one other iota of charm and happiness and light and hope and good will towards humanity? Did he not have passions and goals and hopes for his people, and are they not valid? And when he was dying ... was he dying with regret or with vigor?

We'll never know, but I hope he is at peace. For such a tumultuous life deserves some succor at the end, don't you think?

***

CLAUDIA JEAN . . .

Sometimes, I drift away from a beloved television program because it has become not as striking as it was when it first caught my affections and attention. "The West Wing" was one of those shows. But tonight, Claudia Jean brought me back. It was a cliche episode: person -- namely woman -- faces adversity in a male-dominated environment, but comes to hold her own and stand strong in the end. But I love cliches, and I love Claudia Jean and I love "The West Wing" once more.

The witty one-liners didn't hurt either. In particular, Toby referring to a senator thus: "He's a tool."

That's almost as good as calling someone a MO-RON, don't you think, Mrs.G? MO. RON.

***

FAMILY TIES . . .

No, I never watched the show much, but I must tell you that Appa writes the funniest emails. Today, he referred to our first golf outing together last Saturday morning:

Not only that,I will never forget this first rounding with my daughter, for sure it will be quite memorable.  And C was very amicable and was a gentleman. Quite a many times, I would have hard times for finding a ball provided he didn't help me with location.

And then he spoke of my golf skills:

Anyway,about your golf swing, I was totally surprised to see your standard and smooth swing. You ,of course, just started, and  didn't have chances to practise a lot, sometimes missed a good impact,but they are all controllable. Main thing is swing itself. All I can say is you have a good swing,like your Mom, particularly when you just look ball position straightly. I have no question you gonna be a good golfer later on.

Then he waxes poetic:

We all know that life is full of  ups and downs.When sun is bright,we prepare for rainy day, when night  darkens we  prepare for the dawn to come.

Then he reminds me that I'm still his kid:

Above all, I want you to take care of your coughing,and hoarse voice. You can't deny you're too busy with all kinds of events. Rest goes first for everything.

And finally, he makes me remember why I love him:

See you soon. With our hands clasped in prayer for you,for everything. I love you, from daddy

No comments: