Friday, January 28

CHECK THE BOX . . .

I'm a big nerd and a big sap. This is nothing new for those who know me. But perhaps even they would be surprised to know that voting in an election is a cathartic, emotional, highly moving experience for me. Everytime I flick that lever, or fill in a circle with a number-two pencil, or check a box, I feel such GLADNESS that I am voting, that I can vote. Yesterday evening, I was listening to an NPR report about children of Jewish Holocaust survivors, and how their parents' memories become their own, in a sense. And I suppose in a less traumatic way, I carry the 'memory' of my parents having grown up in a less-than-democratic society, under an oppressive military regime, unable to vote or speak out. And I am so appreciative that they came here, where both they and I can make our voices heard, no matter how loud or soft, whether the impact be great or miniscule.

So today, the headlines read "Iraqis voting around the world," and I am so, so deeply moved. Expatriates in this country are currently driving hours, even days, to contribute to the rebuilding of their motherland. On Sunday, come hell or high water (both seem likely these days, no?), Iraqi citizens will select a new National Assembly, and its first task of order will be to create a new Constitution, pursuant to which Iraq will ultimately govern itself.

I consider how much I take for granted the Constitution that reigns over me and protects me, here in what is universally known as the land of the free. I think upon those who, over two hundred years ago, expended blood, sweat and tears to create it, who dared to envision and imagine the perfect country, the perfect government. I look back over the decades of turmoil and change and upheaval and peace -- all that has brought us to this day. It occurs to me that I never think about them, or the document they birthed, or the legacy they left. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be on the cusp of history, making a lasting impact on infinite generations to come, taking the leap of independence into self-governance, for better, sometimes, or for worse, sometimes.

That's so awesome. I can't imagine it, I will never live it, but that is SO. AWESOME.

Sustained prayers abound for peace, progress, dedication, courage, freedom and a new understanding of the world order ...

No comments: