Saturday, January 1

THE FLIPSIDE . . .

Happy January 1, 2005, y'all.

Really, and I'm not just saying this, the twilight of every evening and the dawn of every morning should be celebrated as we celebrate the turning of the calendar year. For is not every day a gift, a new opportunity to live again, a reminder that time is in motion and a signal to us to face forward?

How long, I wonder, will I be able to fall asleep actually anticipating a new dawn, and how long, I wonder, will I wake up thinking "another day, another chance, I've got to make the best of it!"

***

Nothing bad happened in Times Square ... phew. I am morbid, yes, but I also just like to know things are alright. Besides, I'm sure Colin Powell and his vanful of Secret Service agents did their part to keep the Big Apple safe tonight.

Of course, the other thing about Times Square I couldn't help thinking about ... where do all those revelers pee?

I shudder to think.

***

Other parts of the world observed moments of candlelit silence at their respective midnights. I kind of wish we in America had done the same, if only to show the same degree of sympathy and acknowledgement that we received in our time of grieving. Have we already forgotten? Or can it be that we just don't care? Eh, maybe the world doesn't have to operate on a quid pro quo basis ... but it might have been nice, no?

***

Speaking of other parts of the world ... in California, it's still 2004. In South Korea, they rang in the new year ... well, yesterday.

Isn't that weird? So which new year is the correct new year?

***

I missed an evening with the gang at the Alien's house ... but my spirit was with them. I needed to be home with my family this year. Good times were had by all, including my parents who are still wearing plastic "HAPPY NEW YEAR 2005!" hats on their heads. And yes, it's now 12:49 a.m. and I'm about to go to sleep before they do.

***

The flipside has come. Let us proceed!

No comments: