Friday, March 25

DEVELOPING STORY . . .

Oh, Terri Schiavo. I only have random, disjointed thoughts on this matter.

How come anti-abortion activists are involved in this issue? I don't see any fetuses anywhere.

How come Congress decided it could say who can and cannot take a case to federal court? No, no, legislative branch. You stay over there.

Good on the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals for saying "nuh-uh, get off my turf." There are laws and rules for bringing suit in federal court, and if you don't meet the criteria, you don't get to come in. It's called efficiency (I know, I know, don't laugh). It's called separation of powers. It's called 'if Republicans really champion federalism, they better stick to it.'

People are forgetting, as Hooch recently reminded me, that Michael Schiavo -- the much-vilified husband -- went and got a nursing degree after Terri fell into this persistent vegetative state so that he could care for her. And he never divorced her although he legally had grounds to. And he rejected two offers of one million dollars each to divorce Terri, for he said it was never about the money. Believe you me, if he wanted to be free of her, he could've been long, long ago.

It is possible, after all, that Terri said she wouldn't want this, and Michael is just trying to appease her. After all, he has been the one sitting by her bedside non-stop for the last seven days.

I would like to see an attorney get slapped with Rule 11 sanctions for bringing another appeal in this case. Just to show people (read: stupid Congress) once and for all: play by the rules. In the words of the infamous Napoleon Dynamite: "IDIOT!"

Side note: I learned that the 11th Circuit Court is open 24/7. YIKES.

Everyone has a right to live, I agree. The concept of right to die makes me nervous. But what -- we're all going to render living wills illegal and say that no adult can make up his or her own mind on the issue? Will our lives, will the livelihood of our nation, truly be made better by having Congress, or big Government, or even the Law of the Land decide these issues for us?

Terri's parents have had twenty-two -- TWENTY-TWO -- court decisions rendered against them. I'm sorry, I know I'm biased because I'm approaching the issue from within, but ... STOP CLOGGING THE COURT SYSTEM AND GET A CLUE. Sheesh. Even the Supreme Court, lately friend of the Republican administration (and some might say, even the Republican agenda) said "no thanks."

Terri's dad says people are on a "crusade to kill." Well, now. That's kind of strong language, don't you think? Would your daughter appreciate you being all inflammatory like that, Mr. Schindler?

The worst part is, whether Terri lives or dies, none of it will be in peace, none of it will be private. She has become an unwitting pawn, pulled between two forces, thrown into the political fray of this shameless nation. Her face is plastered all over the news. Her parents and sister weep and wail for the cameras. Michael is nowhere to be seen. Oh yes, that's right -- that's because he's by her bedside. Poor Terri. She has the right to life, I suppose, but no right to privacy.

The lesson to be learned, methinks, is this: write everything down. Then get it witnessed and notarized.

Oh, Terri Schiavo. How am I supposed to think about you from a human perspective, from a Christian perspective? If you had said to me, "don't keep me alive like this," would I have heeded your words? If I then let you die, would that bar the gates of Heaven to me? What about you? Is exercising the right to die really such a bad thing? And if so, why? And if not, how come? Is God crying because people want you to starve to death ... or because people are fighting over you like cats and dogs?

No comments: