Monday, August 15

WHO'S BEEN HIT?! WHO'S BEEN HIT?! . . .

I just saw the tail end of the episode of "The West Wing" entitled "What a Day It Has Been." It's the one where President Bartlett is speaking at a local university, and as he's walking the rope line upon leaving the auditorium, two gunmen start shooting at him and his staff. The ending montage of this episode ... I could watch it over and over again, and never ever get sick of it.

Now I'm watching the beginning of the next episode, the start of the second season, "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen." Everyone being rushed to the hospital, chaos reigning, no one knowing what's going on. And still, the best writing. THE BEST WRITING. The wittiest conversation. THE BEST WRITING. Who are these people? Are they really actors repeating lines? Are they not really the President, his wife, his daughter, his chief of staff, his secretary, his press secretary, his deputy chief of staff, his personal assistant?

Even now, three years after their first airing, these episodes never fail to stir me. Get my heart rate up and going. Make my eyes fill with tears. Cause me to marvel at the wonders of screenwriting and directing and acting and editing.

Reminds me why I loved this show in the first place. Such a small memory, really, but somehow significant.

***

POO ON THEM . . .

I didn't get the job. My first private sector interview ever, and I didn't get it.

It's not so much that I'm disappointed about not getting an offer. How great could it have been? Third-year litigation associate (when I'm officially a fourth-year, bah!). Push papers, scurry after partners, berate first-years, interact awkwardly with a secretary, wend my way through depositions and motion papers, curry favor with clients for whom I have no sense of affection whatsoever. I know I'm not missing much.

But still.

I was really down for a few minutes. But then I heard The Voice ... "You didn't want to work in the private sector ANYWAY. What are you whining about? Why are you down? Don't you believe that I put you through law school for a reason? Don't you believe that I won't leave you hanging? Don't you see that I've given you every good gift so far? Don't you think I'm preparing an office, a desk and a chair, coworkers, clients, a reason to get up in the morning, personalized just for you? Don't you believe that if not this, then there must be something better, more appropriate, more YOU that I'm going to give to you? Don't you believe that waiting for something fantastic is better than taking something that is merely good?"

And of course, who am I to say no? So I say yes. Yes, yes, yes.

And so I wait and keep going.

No comments: