Tuesday, August 9

THE CHALLENGER IN ME . . .

I'm a bigger nerd than I thought I was.

I woke up to watch the landing of the shuttle Discovery at 8:12 a.m. today.
And now, having seen that beautiful machine land in near-complete darkness at Edwards Air Force Base in California, a perfect landing made even more special by NASA's pained history with shuttles, I have tears in my eyes.

Are these things not amazing and fantastic and spectacular still worthy of awe?

In this day of questionable heroes and misplaced idols, is Captain Eileen Collins not among the utmost of the courageous, steadfast and admirable leaders?

And aren't we still idealistic and innocent and excitable enough to get up early on morning during a week's vacation to watch these things, these people, wth a childlike glee and breathlessness?

Yeah ... I think my name is still on the waiting list for Space Camp ...

No comments: