Monday, September 26



Originally uploaded by chaesq.
Yesterday morning, New Hope For a Cure ran its third Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Oh alright, eight of us walked and only one of the team ran and he suffered mightily for it, I hear.

Perfect day -- cool, slightly cloudy, not at all humid. Thousands and thousands of men, women and children joined together for the singular cause of raising awareness, money and support to fight breast cancer ... we stood in front of the starting line this time to hear the gun go off and to see the survivors start us off. As always, I got a touch verklempt, and as I walked and glanced at all the "In Memory of..." and "In Celebration of ..." bibs, I was so moved to think of all the women loved and remembered and honored that morning ...

This year, we ran and walked in honor of Maria, a sister from NHF who is facing her second fight with breast cancer. She is so optimistic, hopeful, faithful. Would I be the same if I were in her shoes? I certainly like to dream so. Maria is new to us; we have yet to really know her and love her as we should. Yesterday was our first opportunity to show her and her family firsthand the depths of our affection and care for her, and to affirm to her that she will not fight alone ...

No comments: