Wednesday, December 7

BLACK, WHITE ... AND YELLOW . . .

I hit the New York Historical Society this afternoon to check out the "Slavery in New York" exhibit.

Slavery in New York.

Did you even think of such a thing? I never did. I never did. I just figured: New York, northern state, good, no slaves, abolition, gooooo New York.

Slap, slap, slap in the face!

In the 1700s, 42% -- forty-two percent -- of households in New York City held slaves. Yes, slaves. As in black citizens held captive and shipped over from Africa and other regions of the world (not just transported up from the South), and sold at the market upon arrival in the ports of Manhattan (what was then New Netherlands, then New York). New York slaves were treated just as badly and dehumanized just as severely as we all learn they were in the South. In those days, New York City was second only to Charleston, South Carolina in the number of slaveholdings. Incredible, isn't it? As in, not credible. But it's true. Stunning.

I learned so much via this exhibit. SO MUCH. I almost bought the book, but I think I'll just go back someday instead. Check it out yourself and prepared to be shocked, moved, humbled, educated.

No comments: