Friday, March 10

OLD FRIENDS . . .

It's good to have old friends. I mean, literally. I don't mean elderly, necessarily, but ... it's good to have in one's circle of friends one person -- or two, if one is particularly lucky -- who knows him/herself well, who is secure and confident in the things s/he values and knows and feels, who is so rooted in who God has made him/her to be that it is easy, smooth and effortless to give of his/herself to friends. I have much to learn from my old friend, and I can't believe my great luck in being in this friendship. I have every fear allayed; every reassurance given; every care provided; every prayer prayed; every insecurity dashed.

Even as I write about my own luck, how grateful I feel and how I feel so blessed and loved ... my next thought is: how can I give this to someone else. Assuming that I reach this place of security and self-knowledge and maturity myself, I surely can't hog it. Pay it forward ... bad movie, great life philosophy.

***

SPEAKING OF . . .

... old friends, thanks to the Wonger for some nighttime blog-candy. I'm too wired to sleep, so I'll plod away at this for a bit.

1. What is your full name now? Oh please. Like I don't give enough information away in this blasted Internet.

2. What are you wearing right now? What I like to call my "Little House on the Prairie" pajamas: pink, red and white flannel, from Eddie Bauer.

3. What are you listening to now? Silence. It's sweet.

4. What was the last thing you ate? A slice of Asian pear.

5. Do you wish on stars? No. But seeing them causes me to be awestruck and pray.

6. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Brick red.

7. How is the weather right now? Well, earlier, I know it was hella-warm. Right now, it seems sort of humid and it's seeping into my home. My flannel is not feeling cozy as much as it's feeling ... sort of damp.

8. Last person you spoke to on the phone? My old friend.

9. How old are you today? Thirty.

10. Favorite drink? Coffee in the morning; water the rest of the day; a Black Russian with Grey Goose when it's just too much.

11. Favorite sport? To watch, baseball. To play ... well, I'm horrible at actually participating in sports.

12. Favorite hobby? Reading, writing, cooking.

13. Hair color? Dark, dark brown. And two wiry strands of white!

14. Siblings? Yes.

15. Favorite food? Korean, preferably made by Omma.

16. What was the last movie you watched? "Crash."

17. Favorite day of the year? Thanksgiving. It's when my family is guaranteed to be together, and Appa prays aloud over all of us. *Sob.* Gets me every time.

18. What was your favorite toy as a child? Legos.

19. Summer or winter? Winter. It's snuggly soft.

20. Hugs or kisses? I shall be greedy and say BOTH.

21. Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla.

22. Do you want your friends to email you back? Always.

23. When was the last time you cried? Two hours ago, but it was all good, really.

24. What is under your bed? The carpet.

25. Who is the friend you have had the longest? Nan, whom I've known for over twenty years.

26. What did you do last night? Indulged in Thai and conversation with Boms.

27. Favorite smell? Clean man, kimchi jigae, freshly-brewed coffee and sauteed garlic. Totally independent of each other.

28. Favorite TV show? "Lost."

29. Happy in life? Becoming more and more so.

30. What are you afraid of? Being ineffective, being complacent, being forgotten, being useless, being faithless. And clowns.

31. Butter or salted? Salt it up, baby!

32. Favorite car? I remain loyal always: Toyota 4Runner. (Although, if I were permitted to betray Good Girl, I'd say "Audi A4" in a heartbeat!)

33. Favorite flower? Dark red gerber daisies. Pure white calla lilies. Bright yellow sunflowers.

34. Number of keys on your key ring? Seven.

35. How many years at your current job? Omigosh, I am SO unemployed right now. I have been busy doing everything but paid work outside the home for six months! Thank God for this break ...

36. Favorite day of the week? Monday.

37. What did you do on your last birthday? The Saturday before, I was kidnapped for an alleged brunch with The Girls, driven through the Lost Lands of Tarrytown, and dumped in some random factory parking lot on the riverfront for an outdoor tailgate lunch -- awesome! It was so cold, but I couldn't stop laughing! Then the gang loaded onto a Hudson River tour/cruise up to the Buchanan area and back -- what a luscious autumn day and what a fresh, chilly breeze. The actual day of, I had lunch with the family of a sister suffering from breast cancer, then visited her in the hospital, recuperating from a mastectomy. Then a walk with my old friend in a riverfront park and a quiet afternoon of coffee and giggles, before heading home for dinner with the fam.

38. How many towns have you lived in? Six.

39. Do you make friends easily? Depending on the meaning of "friends" ... no, not really. But it's me, not you.

Okay, now you go.

No comments: