Wednesday, April 19

ELEVEN YEARS . . .

It's the eleventh anniversary of the Oklahoma City federal building bombing.

I have yet to see a news story about it today.
Is it already old news?
Have people already forgotten and stopped caring?

I was just a college junior on April 19, 2005, but I recall as if it was yesterday my ebbing of still-innocence, my naive questioning of why someone would do such a thing, my awful jumping to conclusions about the perpetrator(s), my dismay at discovering the depths of hatred and mania existing in humanity, and the development of wariness.

My heart is heavy with remembrance. I'm sad because so few, save the survivors and the affected families, remember. I don't see value or health in living in the past, no, but I wish there was more honour and respect shown, and more gravity given to a day -- one of the days -- that changed our country.

I wonder what eleven years will do to 9.11.01.

No comments: