Friday, May 5

IT'S HERE . . .

I was wondering last weekend ... everyone around me was bleary-eyed, puffy, red, hived-out from seasonal allergies. Hanging out upstate, all of my friends were being attacked by all manner of greenery- and nature-oriented allergens. Except for me. I dared to hope -- I really, naively, stupidly, did -- that perhaps I would have a respite this year. That this year's allergens would not affect me. Maybe, MAYBE, even that my allergy-suffering days were gone, and I was somehow cured, my sinuses victorious against the nefarious forces of pollen, dust and other things I can't really see.

But no. It's not so much, I've come to realize, that my cough and cold are lingering beyond their well-worn welcome. No, it's the fact that I, too, have succumbed. Post-nasal drip -- check. Itchy eyes -- check. Sneezy nose -- check. Tickly chest and throat -- check. Constant sorta-there drippiness -- check. Oh yes. Allergy season is upon me.

Nevertheless, we carry on!

Four of us will walk in the Revlon 5k Run/Walk to Fight Women's Cancers tomorrow morning, in Central Park. A sunny and breezy morning it's supposed to be -- I personally can't wait for a leisurely walk with my dears and a certain Melon, and to honour from the bottom of my heart JKA, my mom, me, Maria, my great-aunt, my aunt in North Korea, Mrs. G's aunt and cousin ... every woman threatened, scared, wounded, scarred, tortured, touched and left by cancer in some way.

Donate if you might, to me or any of my teammates.

No comments: