Friday, July 14

TO CLOSE THE WEEK . . .

I'm about to head into a quiet time with God. Side note: I was sharing with someone last night that I have seen evidence of God's grace -- "grace" is no longer a nebulous, nicey-nice concept to me anymore, because lately, no matter how tired I have been, how down I have been, how distracted I have been, I have also been craving reading the Bible and talking to God. I wasn't always like this; I have often traveled through phases of being like this. But I think that's the ultimate grace of God. It's not just that He commands us to spend time with Him, loving Him, studying His word and obeying Him -- once we start to do so, He makes it EASY for us to continue. He put in my heart a continued craving for Him, so that it's not just always ME dragging myself to my study to open up the Bible and read. No, it's HIM, drawing me in, putting something on my heart that makes me WANT to see what's next, that makes me WANT to be still even for a moment to hear His whispers. I'm not on my own; I'm not doing things on my own -- He helps me, and He helps us. So when I'm tired and sleepy like I am now, I know and can trust that if I just keep my eyes open for a few more minutes ... He'll be there right in front of me saying "hey, whassup." That's cool. That's grace.

But before I do, I still have to unwind from my busy, sweaty day. This has been going around a lot lately, lifted from "Inside the Actor's Studio, so I'm joining in the fray:

What is your favorite word?
Today, "grace."

What is your least favorite word?
"Moist."

What turns you on creatively, spiritually, or emotionally?
Wit, depth, and nice back muscles.

What turns you off?
Lack of awareness.

What is your favorite curse word?
"F*ck." It just feels so good coming off your lips sometimes.

What sound or noise do you love?
Music -- of any kind, and from any instrument, and from any voice -- that is propelled forcefully by gut-wrenching passion.

What sound or noise do you hate?
Disappointment in the voice of one speaking to me.

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
College English literature professor.

What profession would you not like to do?
Physics professor.

If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
"Come on in; Jesus will show you to your room now."

No comments: