Saturday, March 15

It's way past my bedtime, but once again, I was so moved by something on television that I have to speak out or else I'll be mulling over it all night. (Consider yourself lucky tonight, because usually I'm ranting about some cheap reality show or waxing poetic about the virtues of Buffy.)

Tonight's episode of Law & Order: SVU, entitled "Desperate," depicted the effects of domestic violence on spouses, friends, children. I have never known the pain of being beaten, the humiliation of being constantly belittled, the daily terror of living in fear and anticipation, the power of evil psychological manipulation, the guilt of being unable to protect my child, or the shame of hiding myself and my family from others. I can only -- reluctantly -- imagine what one or all of those things must feel like.

But if you are not one of the few loyal and beloved friends who know about and read this blog -- if you just happened across me at this moment -- and you do know what those things feel like, PLEASE GET HELP, or call 1-800-799-SAFE.

No comments: