Monday, October 13

YANKEE BASEBALL AND OTHER THOUGHTS . . .

As much as I love the post-season, and of course the Yankees being in the post-season, I wish they -- the Baseball Gods on High -- would just treat it like the regular season. You grab a 72-year-old baseball legend by the head and throw him to the ground like a punk, you get tossed. It rains a little bit and you're afraid of getting wet, play anyway. Post-season, shmost-season.

Of course, the absolute LACK of a televised baseball game did not stop our cabal from invading Camp Cap, now complete with a very pregnant M, home from the hospital until her belly finally stops stretching. Her belly -- I could pontificate on her belly for a whole other entry, but suffice to say right now: it's lopsided. It's amazing, actually -- you can see the lopsidedness. Those rugrats are lying almost completely to the left, so that M's belly looks rather like Earth on its tilted axis. You also can't really tell that she's pregnant when coming upon her from behind, so that when she turns around (laboriously), you are shocked by the torpedo of a belly that accosts you. Pregnancy, babies, twins -- I am SO not ready for any of it, but I do appreciate the absolute madness and miraculousness of it.

Hamburger Helper (YUM) and Filipino noodles, fried apple turnovers, Killian's Red, C's ginger snap ice cream, assorted finger foods and chips and dips . . . the cabal was well-fed, and satisfied. Or as satisfied as a Yankee baseball-less cabal could be.

***

Life astounds me. It astounds me that things I think are so good for me, so right for me, so necessary to me, that make me so happy and fulfilled . . . aren't deemed so by the powers on high. I know, I know . . . my life and its terms are not up to me to interpret, to determine, to dictate. And I suppose I wouldn't want to -- imagine the potential self-indulgent disaster that might result! After all, what do I know?!

But . . . knowing this in my head doesn't stop my heart from aching for those non-good good things, or wishing for a different decision by the high powers. I think the best thing I can do is trust God and continue to try to live according to His will; live the life He has given me to the fullest, regretting nothing, experiencing everything, and giving Him thanks for every person, thing and circumstance in my life, even if none of it is apparently perfect. And of course, love the people in my life with everything that I am, every breath that I breathe, so that they know exactly and completely who and what they are to me.

***

Restful morning . . . chatty lunch . . . sunshine . . . cool breeze . . . a beloved confidante . . . fresh air . . . a precious day . . . I need more Mondays off!

***

ALCS Game 4, scoreless after two and-a-half innings. LET'S GO YANKEES.

Clap, clap, clap clap clap.

No comments: