Thursday, April 29

MY HEADLINES . . .

The Revlon 5k Run/Walk is in two days ... I'm so excited because the first 5k I ran last fall was a great deal of fun. Saturday should be great, too, because I'm captaining my church's team and at least 22 of us will be running and walking together. But ... our team's fundraising goal is $2000, and we've only raised just over half of that. THAT'S PATHETIC!!! WHAT IS THE PROBLEM!?!?!?!?

I do not understand -- twenty people could not raise $2000?! Does this even COMPUTE in anyone's logical mind? Runners and walkers: you spend your days eating and watching TV and hanging out with people and doing things you think are important. But you committed to running and walking in this 5k, so PRIORITIZE and THINK OF THOSE WHO ARE SUFFERING FROM CANCER and are DEPENDING on your serious efforts. And potential donors: you spend your days buying food, buying cars, buying books and CDs and DVDs of movies you've already seen, going on vacations, and throwing cash away willy-nilly, taking cabs when you could walk the ten blocks. PUT YOUR MONEY TO SOMETHING WORTHWHILE.

I hate to say it, but I'm finally going to: CANCER COULD HAPPEN TO YOU. It could happen to any of us. It DOES happen to any of us. Remember my month-long boob pain, my ultrasound, waiting for the results? Remember when she felt a lump in one breast, and then in the other? Remember when she had a lump removed from her breast? Remember when she had her mastectomy? Remember when she felt a swollen lymph node? Remember when she touched her neck and found something there that didn't belong? Remember when she told you she had cancer? I remember. You don't?

If and when cancer hits home, the good Lord forbid, THERE DAMN WELL BETTER BE ENOUGH MONEY FOR RESEARCH AND TREATMENT, because if there isn't, we ALL are going to regret it.

***

The Redhead is gone from "American Idol." Thank you, America. You have finally done something right.

***

This morning, on the "Today" show, Katie Couric -- who I quite enjoy, even though she's kind of ... oh, I don't know, cheesy? -- used the word/phrase "stick with-it-ness." Uhhh ... that is not a word.

***

Derek Jeter is 0-32. ARGH!

***

C has been gushing on and on and on about this place called Paese, a little Italian place in the nabe. He also sent me an article about a new steak restaurant recently opened by a veteran waiter at Peter Luger. Which reminds me ... I am craving pasta and steak.

No comments: