Friday, March 3

WHY IS IT . . .

... that you can't leave your pets in the car -- even with the window cracked open a bit -- on a super-hot day, but you can do so on a really cold day? Is that allowed? Will the pet be alright? Because if it's not allowed, and it's not alright, then the police dog sitting in the backseat of one of the patrol cars of my local police department is in biiiiig trouble.

... that every car I've seen with the "Merry Maids" logo on the side has been a complete mess on the inside? I mean, from my perch pulled up at a red light next to it, I can look into the car and see: random articles of clothing, fast-food wrappers, beverage bottles, assorted crumpled tissues and napkins, buckets of cleaning supplies, and other everyday detritus. The irony. It slays me.

... that I often seem to have these far-removed and vague interactions with people who later appear in the news for one reason or another? An attorney at a big white-shoe Manhattan law firm was arrested on child molestation and prostitution charges. If my memory serves me correctly, I think I did a couple of errands for him back when I was a paralegal there. Yucko.

... that some people are really bad at keeping secrets, and others aren't? I used to be really bad at keeping secrets myself, until I realized I didn't want people knowing my own. Now, my strategy is to forget other people's secrets, and to never tell my own. Sadly, it has become easier and easier for me to forget other people's secrets -- not because I don't care, but because ... I just forget. And also sadly, it has become easier and easier for me to not tell my own secrets -- not because I don't want to, but because ... people are hard to trust.

... that I can publish my life online for all the world to see, but I still harbor bitterness in my heart that I can't control who reads me? I would love to be able to block out certain people, for I feel they are living vicariously through me -- which is just annoying -- and/or they think they "know" me now because they read these snippets -- which of course they don't, but you can't tell them that because they are neither socially adept enough to realize the difference, or they are in denial. Do I sound harsh? I am. And now these people will think I'm a bitch.

No comments: