Wednesday, May 17

KNOCK, KNOCK, WHO'S THERE . . .

Once in a very long while, I look into someone's eyes or engage someone in conversation and realize ... there is nothing there. I am met by a completely vacant set of eyes. Nothing behind them. The conversation is completely lacking in continuity, complexity, even accurate vocabulary. There is a total absence of common sense or common knowledge. I used to think that was funny, that someone could be so empty. Now, I realize, it's not funny at all. For the other party, it's just sad. For me, it's scary and unnerving to be speak into an emptiness and have nothing returned.

Sort of makes me want to be a perma-student so that I'm always learning and my brain is always filled with SOMEthing.

***

OWIE . . .

I have a painful, freshly-developed pimple on the inside of my right nostril. BAD place to have a pimple in the height of allergy season ...

No comments: