Monday, November 20

WHAT WOULD I DO? . . .

Thoughts abound from yesterday's sermon at church: PEK was telling us about the massive anticipation and hysteria (and murder) over the new PlayStation that was released on Friday. People stood on line for SIX DAYS in the hope -- the HOPE, not even CERTAINTY -- of being able to purchase it. And all I could think was: "It's a machine, for crying out loud. It doesn't do your laundry, or wash your dishes, or watch your kids, or do your homework. It doesn't fight wars, or create peace, or find a cure for cancer. It's a TOY. An overpriced, overhyped, useless TOY." And I kept on thinking, what else would people stand on line for? Or rather, what would people NOT stand on line for? Would people not stand on line to meet Jesus? Or even someone who KNOWS Jesus? What would that be worth: one day? Two days? Six days? Just a couple of hours? A lunch break? Seems to me, Jesus is a whole lot cooler (and less expensive) than a PlayStation console.

But then I got to thinking about me. I haven't stood in line for much. I have neither the attention span, nor the tolerance for crowds, nor the ability to go without showering for more than 20 hours. But I have gotten awfully excited over an awful lot of things. Billy Joel tickets. The new MacBookPro. The new iPod Shuffle. An eagerly-anticipated movie. Shoot, I even waited outside a Joann's craft store for thirty minutes before it opened because I needed to pick up some more YARN. How long would I wait for Jesus, to see Him, to meet Him, to talk with someone who knows Him? One day? Two days? Six days? Just a couple of hours? A lunch break? Seems to me, Jesus is worth a whole lot more, on all accounts, than a ball of yarn, or the latest Apple product, or even a hot shower.

No comments: